Storm window and screen how to

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place to share the knowledge accumulated.
mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Storm window and screen how to

Post by mattswabb »

On my latest window I needed to make a storm window so I took a few pics. I had some white oak left over from my railing project so I planed some down to 1" thick.

My window measured 22 7/16 x 55. I cut the stiles a 1/4" long at 55.25" and 2" wide. The top rail is also 2" wide. The center is 1.5" wide and the bottom is 3.25" and I'll cut off about a 1/4" when I cut it to the finish length after assembly and at an angle to match the sill. The rail lengths for this window were 22 7/16 - 2" -2" = 18 7/16". When I put in the center rail I carefully center it so the glass is the same size for both pieces.

All the joints are but joints with a pocket screw and a good glue.

And filled with bondo when done.

Then on the outside face I use a rabbet bit in my router to set the glass in.

Then square the corners with a chisel. Sand, prime, paint all except outside face, glaze, then paint outside face.

Screens are similar except no groove for the glass and I make the center rail 1" wide. I lay the screen on and staple then cover the edges with screen molding.

christiner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Re: Storm window and screen how to

Post by christiner (WavyGlass) »

nice!

Fanner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by Fanner (WavyGlass) »

*Bookmarked*! You folks are killing me with all of your talents..!
Proudly maintaining our 1904 Victorian since 1999

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

Here's the rabbeting bit I bought for making the windows. This gives a 1/4" wide and 1/2" deep rabbet.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_204474-353-9140 ... facetInfo=

Also the pocket screw kits can be bought for about $20 then buy the screws and bit

http://www.lowes.com/pd_205297-39450-MK ... facetInfo=

So all in all this is a cheap and simple way to get into storm and screen making. You'll need a table saw to rip the widths, a miter saw to cut the lenghts, a router with bit and a pocket screw jig.

historicalwork
Been here a good while

Post by historicalwork »

I saw your update on the storms and figured I would add my question to your howto. I may have missed another post, but do you have a pic for how your storms are fitting in? And how you are providing a seal around the frame? Perhaps a couple close up pictures would answer the questions. Thanks for your posts - they are encouraging!

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

The deluxe version, you rabbet the frames before assembly and fit the coped end to the rabbet. That is woodworking. And now I'm an insufferable snob for pointing that out.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

No hi-tech woodworking on these. Simple but joints and rabbet afterwards. Once I have my measurements I can have a frame made, test fitted, adjusted and primed in an hour.

historicalwork wrote:I saw your update on the storms and figured I would add my question to your howto. I may have missed another post, but do you have a pic for how your storms are fitting in? And how you are providing a seal around the frame? Perhaps a couple close up pictures would answer the questions. Thanks for your posts - they are encouraging!

No seals. I try my best to fit everything tight to minimize air gaps. Not perfect but this does allow enough air to come thru to remove any condensation. I make them a little bigger than the opening and use the table saw or a plane to size them. It will take a few tries till they fit well.

One of my best fitting storms was on a slightly trapezoid shaped window. I made a template out of scrap wood and then traced it out on an oversized storm window frame. I would have never been able to make that one by measuring.

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

I am so very glad you posted this. My house has those ugly metal ones that really kills the aesthetic of the original windows. I am nowhere near ready to attempt to replace them yet, but after seeing your posts, I think it is going to make a great "father-daughter bonding" project! ;)

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Sombreuil wrote:The deluxe version, you rabbet the frames before assembly and fit the coped end to the rabbet. That is woodworking. And now I'm an insufferable snob for pointing that out.
Casey

That's what I was thinking too!
Plus I'd probably try to finger joint the corners instead of using pocket screws.

OTOH my standards are obviously higher than most modern carpenters' - the one who built our windows assembled the frames using philips head chipboard screws, not even proper wood screws!

Fanner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by Fanner (WavyGlass) »

If you were going to have to buy wood to make storm frames, what would you suggest? I will have to start from scratch - after I learn my way around the table saw and router - no left overs to use up. There is some old lumber in our basement (really old, I think it came off of the house somewhere, just not sure where ) - I don't know the species of wood. Should I look into trying to plane that down to size? If not, what would be the best choice?
Proudly maintaining our 1904 Victorian since 1999