How do I make Round Columns for an outdoor structure

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place to share the knowledge accumulated.
HB2
Knows the area

How do I make Round Columns for an outdoor structure

Post by HB2 »

We've decided to do a covered patio and adjoining pergola in the backyard. We want to use round columns to support the roof and pergola, to mirror the columns that flank the front door of the house.

I am building the structures using pole building methods (something simple and straightforward for once - YAY!). However I wanted to cover the pressure treated posts with a decorative wrap to resemble the round columns.

Anyone ever done this before? Can you give me some hints? and do the column wraps really cost >$100 each?! I don't think I can spend over $1,000 on just that item, so I may have to revert to lambs tongue chamfers to liven up the posts a little bit.

I've also thought about trying to find salvaged columns and split them to use as wraps for the posts.

Anyway, I'm totally open to ideas.

Thanks for your input.

HB
"The Lord hates a coward......"

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Re: How do I make Round Columns for an outdoor structure

Post by Casey »

You can buy 9 ft tall 8" dia, permacast fiberglass columns at the big box for 169 bucks, they will slide over a 4x4 so you can use bolts to fasten structure top and bottom. You will never have maintenance problems with permacast, and while not as perfectly-detailed as a wooden columns could be, they hold up in 100% weather exposure where wood never could.
As far as making something sort of round yourself, how about discs of plywood spaced about 12" vertically, then covered with lattice strips narrow enough to make a convincing (round) surface. It will still have facets, but from a distance??
Thin wood + weather exposure = problems, of course.
Most salvage columns have some issues like rotten bottoms, missing bases and capitals, or an odd-number set.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

i'm not a fan of fiberglass products but i did install a set of columns about 15 years ago and they have held up quite well--no shifting, cracking or rot...for the price and simplicity, i second the fiberglass suggestion...since you mentioned you didn't want to have to spend $100 each, you may want to make it a phased project...

...jade

HB2
Knows the area

Post by HB2 »

Holy cow! I guess i just didn't want to believe that those post covers cost so much. I'm figuring on 10 posts to hold everything up but at 169 ea tha will double the cost of the project!
I guess I'll have to consider moldings on the square posts to liven them
Up a bit .

Thanks for the responses!

HB

HB2
Knows the area

Post by HB2 »

Holy cow! I guess i just didn't want to believe that those post covers cost so much. I'm figuring on 10 posts to hold everything up but at 169 ea tha will double the cost of the project!
I guess I'll have to consider moldings on the square posts to liven them
Up a bit .

Thanks for the responses!

HB

Faust (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by Faust (WavyGlass) »

You didn't say the size you desire/need. But surely somone in your area could turn 4x6 hemfir. That would result in 4" columns. Of course "shop time" being what it is, it would probably eat any savings over the fiberglass. Last time I bought them they were $45 each (10 footers). HD wanted $96 each, special order. HD is a last resort if price is of interest.

I used some 6x6 aluminum fluted, square columns a few years ago. I recall $45 each. Probably available in round, I didn't check.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

have you considered using a molding process to make them from plaster of paris? would that take the weather ? maybe with a more weatherproof coating? concrete castings might work as well? or buy a big metal lathe, great big ones like 12' or so aren't too desirable for home shop owners and there were a lot of old ones not too suitable for industry but still functional. I have seen them for sale for a song.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Of course concrete would work, but you'd need to make hollow columns or they'd get insanely heavy. Plaster of Paris (Gypsum) is absolutely not suitable for exterior use, it expands and crumbles when it gets damp and I don't think any coating could totally prevent that.

Faust (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by Faust (WavyGlass) »

Let's be practical here. There is no way to make columns for less than you can buy them. Why not start with Craig's List, mine has plenty of them. You may not be able to get them all, but you can lower your average cost

cjd
Knows the area

Post by cjd »

Have you tried any architectural salvages in your area?