Floor stripper question

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place to share the knowledge accumulated.
Paladin (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Floor stripper question

Post by Paladin (WavyGlass) »

Hey Everyone,

I have a floor in my mud room that is currently covered in puke-red linoleum tile from the '50s and I am aiming to remove it. Here's the problem, the tiles are held in place by a thick, heavy adhesive that it extremely difficult to remove (The floor to the 1/2 bath I've spoken of here was covered in the same tile and it took me three weekends to remove the adhesive from a floor space measuring 4 1/2 x 6.)
I was hoping someone here might be able to recommend a stripper of some sort to aid in the process. What I don't want to do is spend six months on my hands and knees with a heat gun & putty knife, trying my best not to inhale the fumes.
A friend of mine though we might try cutting to the sub-flooring and ripping it up that way, but the sub-flooring is glued to the main flooring - don't ask! The previous owners made a number of unusual "improvements". Anyone? Help?

P

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Floor stripper question

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Soy Gel works great, in my experience. It's expensive, so you might just order a small sample and do a test first, to be sure it works the way you'd want it to. I believe they have several formulations, including one for mastic. Put it on, and keep it moist overnight (I use plastic cling-wrap) and scrape off all the gunk in the am. It's fume-free, so you can use it indoors, and it won't burn your skin, if you get it on your hands. AND you don't have to neutralize the wood afterwards. I just do a quick clean-up with denatured alcohol. You have to order it online.

Chris

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

I'd start with soaked towels, then carefully pour on some water. If that doesn't work, get the big guns.

Paladin (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Ummmm, ok. What are the big guns?

Sacto Diane (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by Sacto Diane (WavyGlass) »

Jane Powell (RIP) used to recommend dry ice. It hardens the adhesive and supposedly chips off easily. I have also heard of the soak towels method. I have not had a need to use either technique so my tips are purely anecdotal.

Diane

Nettie
Been here a while

Post by Nettie »

We had a similar situation in our kitchen- maybe a little older linoleum and glue but the boiling water on towels did the trick. I was surprised how easily it all mopped up- we did a 2 x 2 section at a time, wipe, rinse and repeat.

Paladin (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Hmmmmm, ok. I now have a few ideas to go on and I thank everyone here for throwing their .02 worth in. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

P

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

Heat gun and putty scraper. I went through a two monthish nightmare trying to remove the tar paper beneath some old asbestos tile. I tried everything. Finally I tried a heat gun, and it works much faster than you think - I was able to do a 250 sf room in an evening. You will need a quality heat gun that gets very hot - mine was up to 1000F. You just heat up one area at a time until it will lift off easily, then scrape it off with a a scraper. There will be some residual gunk no matter what you do, but the sander should take care of that.

I know this post is old, but for the benefit of anyone googling - heat gun, heat gun, heat gun. I know your misery and I can't say it enough times!

If anyone thinks boiling towels will get anywhere near the temp neccessary to do this you're crazy! Dry Ice? Please! I tried all kinds of dumb crap - HEAT GUN.