Making a 'Dutchman' Wood Repair

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place to share the knowledge accumulated.
ekane25 (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Making a 'Dutchman' Wood Repair

Post by ekane25 (WavyGlass) »

I learned this technique last year in my preservation field school class (College of the Redwoods, Eureka CA), thought I would share it.

There was a notch hacked into the front bargeboard of our 1892 project house, the "Annie B. Ryan".

I started by marking square lines around the opening to make the patch fit easier.

I cut the opening back to good wood (especially important if you're patching a rotten section) using handsaws and chisels.

Next I measured the openings and cut new pieces to fit. You should always use "in-kind" materials for patches, so the wood expands and contracts the same. In this case, old growth redwood with similar grain density (ring count) and orientation.

I prefer to use 5 minute epoxy, as it is very strong, sets rock hard in 15 minutes, and can fill voids better than wood glue. (I believe wood glue can work too though, just make sure it's good for exterior use if the repair is outside.) If the fit is a little sloppy, you can add some sawdust to build up the resin body.
Oh, and wear gloves with epoxy. I was bad in this picture :oops:

Here are the pieces epoxied, note that I left the new pieces a little proud of the surroundings.

Grab a coffee and wait for it to harden for a bit. I find it is plenty hard and ready to continue after 20-30 mins. Using knifes, chisels and a block plane, I eased the new wood down to flush and removed any epoxy squeeze out.

A little sanding, filler if needed, and primer, and it's ready for paint.

After some practice, these can be done pretty quickly. They can really save a lot of work vs. replacing a whole piece of trim. They can be done to repair floors and stain grade wood too, but it takes a careful eye and more skill.

Hope you enjoyed!

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Making a 'Dutchman' Wood Repair

Post by SkipW »

Nice work! I wish I had a local college that had preservation classes when I was young....but back then all the buildings we're saving now were new!! ;-}
Etta says "WOOF"

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

Nice work.

Do be aware that this term is a derogatory expression, meant to criticize the alleged cheapness of the Dutch. It has negative connotations. See also "Dutch treat."

There must be a more neutral way of saying this.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

lisascenic, the term has been around and used in carpentry for many centuries as term for a small wood repair usually a butterfly type shape inlay to repair a flaw in a large piece of wood rather than replace the whole piece. Has nothing to do with cheap, just practicality. And there are many fine carpenters who take great pride in their ability to do such a repair. I could be wrong but I believe the term "dutch" is actually a long since Anglicized version of deutch (sp?) which is Germanic in its origin. Changing the term to a Hollanderman repair would not be correct. "Yanky thrift" also may be construed as derogatory but it too has its origins in practicality.
If I'm out of line some one I'm sure will tell me or at least correct me.

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

In theatrical construction, a dutchman's join is where one glues fabric over a seam in two walls, instead if actually joining them. This is a long-established term, but that doesn't make it okay.

I just wanted to point this out. Do with it what to will.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

well Ekane, what ever we call it it"s still a nice repair.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Well, we can invent a new term for it. Or use the one that's been commonly used by carpenters and stone masons. For decades.

Dutchman - (noun: carpentry, masonry) A piece of wood or stone used to repair a larger piece, shaped such that it fills as exactly as possible a void or cavity that is to be repaired.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

indeed!

Vintrest (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by Vintrest (WavyGlass) »

I love what you folks are doing to the house. When I visited Eureka a few years ago, the house was boarded up and crying out for someone to rescue it-a photo I took back then: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11236515@N ... 673226309/ Looks immeasurably better now. Eric Hollenbeck with his Blue Ox Millworks in Eureka has done much to bring traditional Victorian millwork and carpentry back to Eureka. He teaches juveniles with legal/social problems traditional wood-working methods. His collection of working 19th century millwork machines is probably unique.

Nice Dutchman repair and I also like the fresh colors. Your house now adds to the richly colored tapestry of Victorian architecture that Eureka is well known for. Nearby Ferndale, though much smaller, is also well worth a visit for lovers of Victorian era architecture.

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

What a beautiful victorian!