How to cook a chicken pre-1800 style

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place to share the knowledge accumulated.
clover
Been here a good while

Re: How to cook a chicken pre-1800 style

Post by clover »

That would be a very cool way to cook a chicken in front of a campfire! My one concern - did all the grease from the chicken stay in the oven? I'm assuming it's curved enough in front to hold all the drippings.

We have a pot arm in our fireplace, though I've never had the courage or time to try to cook dinner over the fire (my fireplace opening is 5 ft wide and I'm not to excited about reaching over the fire to stir the pot). This seems much more manageable.

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Re: How to cook a chicken pre-1800 style

Post by CS in Low Hud »

clover wrote: did all the grease from the chicken stay in the oven? I'm assuming it's curved enough in front to hold all the drippings.

Yes... there is an ample reservoir to catch the drippings... and even a built-in spout on the side opposite the turning handle, to pour them out!

I assume your pot arm swings out? My understanding is that you would swing it out (I'd suggest hooking it with a poker) to stir the pot, so you don't have to reach over the fire.

Chris