front porch

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
raine
Settling in

front porch

Post by raine »

PO enclosed the front porch with wood siding and some windows. looks really bad.
I am painting because the house is for sale and has to look presentable. The wood siding was not primed on the inside so a few rot areas. I patched some/ will paint over some. All wasted energy because what HAS to happen is either tear down the whole porch or reconstruct it.
I assume they enclosed due to rotted posts because 2 I know are missing. the other 2 I dont know . Also , the posts from the under porch to frost line are not there because they put in a cement foundation on the front end. I assume it is to frost line because no frost heave , even that the area is wet usually.
pros ? - this foundation looks sound and will continue to do the job.
- the roof is good , new shingle , some rot on fascia.
- the floor is really good of what I can see.
cons ? cost to reconstruct - new posts $500
railing $500
a professional $1000
permit and dumpster $350
total - $2500
cost to tear down - dumpster , beer and some patch work $500.
My figures are all guesses.
My ? is has anyone done something similar to both cases and what was the costs .
The porch is approx 20 ft by 5 ft

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Re: front porch

Post by lovesickest »

What does your realtor advise ? If you take off the ugly porch will you have to patch/repaint the entire front of your house ? Will removing the porch add or subtract potential value from your house ?

Can you post pics ?

raine
Settling in

Post by raine »

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb20 ... 97.jpg?661
this pic was taken after power washing the house. It is now painted .
to answer lovesickest
I havent asked the realtors advice.
yes, some patching and painting needed.
I dont think tearing down or reconstruct would add or subtract from the value.
If I have to continue to live here tearing down would mean no more maintenance. The front would look better. Better curb appeal for future sale ?

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

Your front porch looks consistent with the rest of the house. Tearing it down may open a giant can of worms with regards to the condition underneath on the front of the house ? The rest of the house looks cute - I really like the fancy gable piece that says 1900.

What part of the country are you in ? If you are in a place with cold winters, the front porch may also really help to keep the rooms behind it (living room I assume ?) warmer and less drafty.

It appears the porch on the front of the house is the one with all the windows, painted pink inside ? Or is the house front the porch with less windows near a fire hydrant ?

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

That is a great looking house.

I am guessing the front porch is the one with all of the windows as you described? I think that part looks ok, could use a nicer entrance though, maybe you could expand the deck with steps to the front instead of the side, and put in a front door that would add to the historic accuracy?

If its the one with the hydrant and the gable, then I would open it up somewhat, and again, open up the deck with the steps in front instead of the side, if you have the room.

On my porch, the lower closed in part below the opening is original. The part to the left is an addition, used to be the open porch all the way, and those two windows were re used in that position....I wish it wasn't there, but it does expand a bedroom.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

raine
Settling in

Post by raine »

lovesickest - Minnesota, the front is with the fire hydrant /1900 gable. Yes, living room and it will probably get a little colder. Surprisingly , our heat bills are cheap, maybe $100 for the coldest month.
Nicholas - If I restored it , it would be open and I would get rid of the deck and use a step or two like yours.

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

Wow - I am moving to Minnesota ! I live in a smaller house, completely attached (rowhouse style) and I am paying much more than what you are paying for heat, and I am very conservative and wear lots of sweaters in the winter.

An open porch with a nicer railing, and steps facing the street would make the front of the house more attractive. I don't know about the construction logistics of this though. Sometimes it is less work to tear down a substandard structure to rebuild fresh, than to work with something that is oddly built ? Definitely ask a person with extensive renovation experience about this, as it pertains to your house.

An alternative would be to replicate what is going on with the back porch - adding full windows to the enclosed porch. That way you have the drafts blocked, but also enclosed useable space in spring, summer, fall.