Would you switch from radiators to forced air if you could.

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
DavidP
Been here a while

Re: Would you switch from radiators to forced air if you cou

Post by DavidP »

In my experience, houses are typically dry when the heat is running much, whether you have steam or hot water radiators. Have you measured the humidity in your house? I don't get static shocks but it's still quite dry (frequently ~30% humidity, even less in extremely cold weather). Artificial carpeting is often a source of static buildup. But wait . . . if you had radiant heat in the floors there was probably no carpet. So much for my theory. But I can't imagine steam heat doing much for humidity if it's working right. My parents put pans of water on the radiators in that house.

Don M

Post by Don M »

No I like my circulated hot water system best. There are no drafts from air movement so no dust blowing around, my system is very quiet & efficient. I have an indirect water heater which is a separate zone off the boiler; never a cold shower. Fortunately I live in South Central PA so I don't really need A/C either!

Ivanho
Settling in

Post by Ivanho »

We have both forced air for heating and cooling, and hot water radiators. Don't replace your radiators.

I won't go into the back-story for how we ended up with both (Bought a house with freeze damage). But having both, I can say there is no comparison between forced air heating and hot water radiators - heating with hot water radiators is much, much, much nicer. It's a more even heat, it's more quiet, you will feel more comfortable.

Heating with hot water radiators is far superior to forced air. In fact, forced air with a furnace is the K-mart equivalent to home heating.

Most contractors who work with forced air are ill-informed to speak about hot water heating - they are two distinct skill-sets. Not all, but most. So if you are talking to contractors who specialize in duct-work mechanical heating and cooling, you should view their opinions about forced air heating vs. heating with hot water radiators with skepticism.