New Member! New-old 1870s stone vernacular farmhouse

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
WildGeeseLn
Knows the area

New Member! New-old 1870s stone vernacular farmhouse

Post by WildGeeseLn »

Hello all!

Like many of the new members on this site, I will admit to being a long-time snooper but first time poster :) I started at OHW, but thanks to some of you rebellious types, I caught on that most everyone moved here.

In march I purchased my first home, a stone farmhouse with a beautiful rural 3.5 acres, pond and stream back in my hometown in northern MD. Hopefully the photo link worked, as I know everyone likes a photo! I'm brand new to posting on websites and using online photo programs...no idea how to post a photo directly, as the smallest size I could save to was too big. I'm a 30 year old Luddite :) Anyways, this is really a dream come true--- I used to doodle stone houses in my notebooks as a kid and I just finished a master's in landscape architecture, in historic and cultural landscape preservation, in an attempt to make a career of preserving historic agrarian landscapes. Glad I can save one more parcel in my hometown from the developers! I'm also thrilled to have some room to take my horses from my parents, and start collecting some critters ;)

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/ccorball/library/

I have been able to trace the house back to around 1870s, German construction (which my Mom, from Germany, loves), though the homeowners say it is 200 years old and rebuilt after a fire. I'm not so sure about that, since the historical stone mason I had out said there was no evidence of a fire (pink grout). The architectural historian I had out also agreed with 1870s. Clues lead me to believe it was once a story and a half, not two stories, similar to an old stone house down the street. I found some old, still whole, windows hidden inside the walls, which support this theory in terms of how the second floor relates to them. The section of the house on the left in the photo is a new addition. The back of the house would have originally been the front of the house, with a big front porch, which has now been enclosed by that ugly white concrete siding. Can't wait to afford to restore it. I also removed the garage, as it was structurally very unsound, and it covered 2 interior windows, making for some very dark rooms.

The interior had been greatly remodeled in the 1950s, but thankfully, they just covered the original features rather than remove them. I found the old lath and plaster, hand hewn lumber, floors, window frames, painted molding, etc. under the wood paneling and orange shag carpet, haha. I've gone through layers and layers of flooring, layers and layers of paneling and wall paper, and lots of very odd structural changes made over the years. I've found old molding, door frames, and nice flooring under all the layers, so it was certainly worth it! Between the thrill of discovery and spending quality time with my very competent jack of all trades and freshly retired dad, this has been an exhausting but wonderful experience so far. Also a bit expensive, given the student loans are still piled up! The great deal I negotiated on the house is starting to seem a little less great, haha.

I have tons of questions for all of you, but I will start with just a few simple ones for today, since I'm nearly competing with Tolstoy for this post

1.) Does anyone know of a plasterer in the MD/PA/WV/VA area who has experience with old homes? I am planning on saving the plaster on the stone walls, which just needs a skim coat to clean it up, and replacing the interior walls with blue board (the plaster was beyond saving and knob and tube needed to be replaced). I know a good plasterer, but he will only do a lime/gypsum mix. He is afraid of the uncertainty of using historical methods. Given that I am trying to be as respectful of historic materials as possible, would you recommend I find someone willing to do a true lime plaster or will the gypsum mix be unnoticeable? Does it influence paint or other finishes? I am totally new to this world of plaster and stone, so any advice would be appreciated!

2.) In terms of restoring the front porch, I have nothing to go on, other than the original roof line (the beams run through the thick stone walls in the house, so we know they are original). Anyone have any suggestions for books/photos/local homes in MD/PA with porches that would have matched a house of this era/design? Particularly, I am struggling with how to access the basement without water flooding in or cutting off head space on the stairs. I'm thinking perhaps there used to be a hatch in the porch floor, rather than someone ducking under the porch from the outside to get to the basement stairs. I'll try to find a photo.

3.) Finally, if my house were prairie or Victorian etc. I could just look up the style and find lots of information to guide the restoration. Those of you with "vernacular" homes, how do you approach this problem? Right now I am generally looking at all styles in the mid-late 19th century, but particularly Georgian, as my house does at least have some of the symmetry of that style. I would love to have a good reference for German stone farmhouses or something similar though! I'm basically in PA, where stone houses are more abundant, so weekend drives, wandering around the mountains is part of my research right now.

Ok, sorry for the long post! Thanks!

wletson
Been here a good while

Re: New Member! New-old 1870s stone vernacular farmhouse

Post by wletson »

WildGeeseLn wrote:Hello all!

I just finished a master's in landscape architecture, in historic and cultural landscape preservation, in an attempt to make a career of preserving historic agrarian landscapes.
http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/ccorball/library/
The great deal I negotiated on the house is starting to seem a little less great, haha.

2.) In terms of restoring the front porch, I have nothing to go on, other than the original roof line (the beams run through the thick stone walls in the house, so we know they are original).
so weekend drives, wandering around the mountains is part of my research right now.

First of all, thanks for finally poking your head out and saying "hello"! And, welcome.
The photobucket link worked fine. But, I'm also a member of them, so it may be different for others.
Never apologize for long posts, as long as you keep us engaged, you're good.
Nice to have another member here with that uppity schoolin' and all. :) That is really great that you have dove in and gone right at it. You have already learned the first lesson... it does cost money to do things to old houses. You realize that it is worth it, or you would have already stopped.

Your porch question... I think you already answered it in the fact that you are out driving around and doing your own research. Chances are, you will turn down some backroad some day, see a porch sticking off a house and say "That's it!" If you have no historical pictures to go from, no matter what you do now is guesswork. You might just as well create something that you like. I understand your intentions of being correct or accurate, but you are now part of this house's history. 100 years from now it will be noted that a young man came along and saved the house. No matter what you do, you are making it better.

Sorry, no definitive answers from north of the border. Absolutely great house and grounds! You bought well!

Warren
Warren

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

Welcome! I am also new here and have a lot of similar issues with my 1860 vernacular farmhouse. I will be keeping track of what you find out!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Don M

Post by Don M »

Welcome, I too have a stone farm house, circa 1830. You've taken on a labor of love but it's looking good. It's amazing what you have uncovered already concerning the original features of the house. My house also has crooked chimneys and they are original the building. My fireplaces are in the back parlors so to bring the chimneys out at the peak of the roof they had to build them angled. We also have horses. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Hi, there are no shortage of similar houses between your location and, say, Lancaster PA that you could gain ideas from, especially to see what kind of porches they had.
If you're on FB, this guy did a number of plastering jobs for us, but he may have retired. Maybe you can entice him back to work. https://www.facebook.com/ron.thomas.9028 He lives in NOVA.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

sepviva
Just Arrived

Post by sepviva »

Hi! I'm in Philadelphia, and minored in architectural history with mostly vernacular architecture classes. Off the top of my head, look for books by Bernie Herman, I know he has one on local rural vernacular buildings. Found it - Everyday Architecture of the Mid-Atlantic, coauthor Gabrielle Lanier. He has others, too, but that might be most relevant. There's also a 1930s book called Early Domestic Architecture of Pennsylvania by Eleanor Raymond with little info but good photos. I remember being surprised by the number of porches in it. I want to say Fiske Kimble did a similar book but might be making that up. Henry Glassie might have something, or Dell Upton. Bryn Mawr has a lot of resources on their site, just not well organized. There are probably relevant articles in Perspectives in Vernacular Architecture, but without access to an academic library they're hard to get to.

There really isn't much. I'm trying to find info on urban vernacular architecture and that seems to be even more obscure, although I've found some good recent stuff (Herman, Upton).

WildGeeseLn
Knows the area

Post by WildGeeseLn »

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the advice!

Warren- It is absolutely money well spent... I'm a glutton for character, and I never could picture myself in a new house at all. The goal is to make it livable, and then slow down a bit. It has also been a great father-daughter project, though my dad is already threatening that when I meet the right guy, he better be willing to relocate to the country after all the work we are putting into the house ;) New first date questions....

Oaktree- Likewise! I'll have to find your old posts and look for photos :)

Don- The crooked chimneys were quite the discussion this past week. I've been trying to find a way to restore a fireplace in the first floor (I'm a sucker for a fireplace at Christmas), but the chimneys are too narrow (1') for any of the flexible liners or other lining methods, not to mention the curves. This weekend I found some patchwork suggesting they used to be wider, but were likely changed when the full 2nd floor was added, which is why they had to bend them to come out at the peaks. My family has two Haflingers, which we drove in combined driving competitions, and my mom and I ride an off-the track thoroughbred and a paint-quarter horse. I think I remember reading on OHW that you are in Boiling Springs. I did some work there when I was with the NPS, helping the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. Not too far from me...beautiful area!

Sombreuil- Thank you for the reference! I will look him up. I used to take drives between my house and Lancaster, photographing old homes and barns, so I might check my photo albums too. Thanks for reminding me :)

Sepvivia- Wow, thanks for all the book recommendations. I have the Eleanor Raymond book, which is fantastic. Tons of fireplace photos too. Highly recommend it. I will look into the others. Also, are you by chance also a Bryn Mawrter? Maybe I'll drive up and visit the library for old times' sake...and for a Hopes Cookie or two (assume you know them).

Don M

Post by Don M »

Great to hear about your horses. Yes Boiling Springs is correct. We have a TB pointless paint cross, which I fox chase and use to event, a Percheron paint cross that hunts & drives, & a young Heinz 57 part draft who is coming along!
Don

WildGeeseLn
Knows the area

Post by WildGeeseLn »

Sorry all... I just remembered that there was another forum for introductions. Novice mistake :oops:

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

WildGeeseLn wrote:Sorry all... I just remembered that there was another forum for introductions. Novice mistake :oops:

Any forum is good! We're an easy lot to get on with, unless you mention Ugg shoes for sale or bedroom stickers.