FREE 1920's stove in Toronto

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

FREE 1920's stove in Toronto

Post by lovesickest »

Hey everyone.

I am finally working on my back porch and have finally reconciled the fact that this wonderful stove has to go. I got it (free) from the local Craigslist. The woman who had it told us it came with their house, which had belonged to a very old lady, who used it until the house was sold.

I was told that it was complete and had all the parts. I have not tested it, so I cannot verify this. The handle for the lower warming oven came off, but I have the handle. A couple of nuts will secure it (the screw posts are there). The oven door needs the inner mechanism fixed. It has the original grates and drip tray under the burners, as well as the over racks.

It is Monarch brand, which the label says was in Montreal and Toronto. I estimate this to have been manufactured anywhere from 1920 - 35 ? It is white porcelain enamel with two shades of grey trim. It is 42.25" wide x 52.5" tall x 28.5" deep (including the gas pipe).

I would love to pass this on to another old house person who can fix it (or have it fixed) and use it. It's a good looking and serviceable stove. The only catch is that I would like it gone ASAP - in the next week or so as I need to work on the floor in the porch. I am offering it here first, but if there are no nibbles it will be returned to the wilds of Craigslist. It is on the first floor, adjacent to a back door with 5 steps and lane access. PM me to make arrangements.

Stove2 (1).jpg
Stove2 (1).jpg (41.95 KiB) Viewed 2441 times

Stove2 (1).jpg
Stove2 (1).jpg (41.95 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
Attachments
Stove3 (1).jpg
Stove3 (1).jpg (76.13 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
Stove1.jpg
Stove1.jpg (59.03 KiB) Viewed 2441 times

wletson
Been here a good while

Re: FREE 1920's stove in Toronto

Post by wletson »

Oh wow, pretty stove!
What are you doing to the back porch?
Warren

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

The back porch has been an unfinished mess since 2011. At that time my ex had the siding done(Hardieboard) on the exterior of the house, and new old windows (antique wood frame casements) were installed in the porch. The porch is unheated/uninsulated. By the time the exterior stuff was done it was mid October, so work on the porch stopped never to resume (too cold to plaster/paint in the winter).

(Insert long explanation about ex here that explains but also DOESN'T explain why this was never completed).

The porch ceiling was always in rough looking shape - though it really only needed some plaster patching and a skim coat plus priming and paint after the loose wallpaper was scraped off. Vintage/antique cabinets were purchased to be installed (also 2011), but these have sat leaning against the wall in limbo. The floor has vintage carpet linoleum. I would keep this if it were it better shape, but most of the pattern has been worn off, so it has to go. Basic painted tongue and groove is underneath. In short: I am fixing the ceiling, clearing the clutter, getting rid of anything I don't use or need so I can paint the ceiling, walls and floor.

I was super excited when I got the stove on local CL (c. 2008). At this time the kitchen was in chaos with much still to be done. The stove was a little older and fancier than the 1930's ACME stove I was using (made in Guelph). So then the new old stove moved to the porch (behind the kitchen) where it has sat, unused and unrepaired for seven years. I finally had to admit that there were many, many other priorities ahead of the stove and I would like the space back.

I'm sad to see it go - it is probably a nicer stove to cook with - but it could be here for another decade with no action. There is just too much other stuff to do.

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

lovesickest wrote:but it could be here for another decade with no action. There is just too much other stuff to do.

I totally understand that. When I moved into the school house (previous home) someone gave us a vintage stove that needed rewiring. It was in great shape other than you wouldn't dare plug it in. That stove sat in the basement for the 9 years we lived there, gathering dust. There were always projects to work on, and the stove was never a priority. You end up having to pick your battles.
Warren

fugaziosbourne (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by fugaziosbourne (WavyGlass) »

I sent you a pm, not sure if you got it or not.

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

Hi Fugazio - I did NOT get your PM.

Could you try again ? The site was acting very weird this a.m. and I kept getting a message that the site was not secure. Warren PM'd me and it got through today, though = ???

Could you reply here after you have PM'd me ? If it doesn't make it through I can post my email here, then delete once we have connected ? I also have the name of a local vintage stove guy that may be able to assist with repair ?

fugaziosbourne (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by fugaziosbourne (WavyGlass) »

lovesickest wrote:Hi Fugazio - I did NOT get your PM.

Could you try again ? The site was acting very weird this a.m. and I kept getting a message that the site was not secure. Warren PM'd me and it got through today, though = ???

Could you reply here after you have PM'd me ? If it doesn't make it through I can post my email here, then delete once we have connected ? I also have the name of a local vintage stove guy that may be able to assist with repair ?

Just sent you a msg.

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

I got it and have sent a reply via PM. Post here if you did not get it - I will send via your email address instead.