Square window ...not so square window frame

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
ShingleVictorian (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Square window ...not so square window frame

Post by ShingleVictorian (WavyGlass) »

I have a large window that I've just removed to begin restoration, I've been procrastinating doing this window because its large and uber heavy and the right side of the frame has a noticeable sag. The inside sill on the right side has sank about an inch, maybe a little less and when removing the window i noticed that it wasn't square in the frame, the upper left side had about an inch gap from the top of the frame. Any tips on how to make this window square in its frame so it functions and seals properly? :D
Angela
"He who loves an old house never loves in vain."
-Isabel La Howe Conant
http://s308.photobucket.com/user/lilbay ... ett%20Home

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Square window ...not so square window frame

Post by Nicholas »

I just had to reframe 4 windows in a group, (seen below in sig) there were termite damaged, well, lets say, no studs holding anything up. It was easy for me being a one story wood frame. You may have to go into the wall and see why it is sagging, the quick fix would be shims.

I am sure there are others here with more expertise on your type of home.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

trying to picture the window sash and frame in my mind....if the right sill has sunk, the gap should be at the top right of the frame and maybe the left side of the sill...when you say 'window' are you referring to the 'sash' (the part that holds the glass and can be removed)?

the frame can be made somewhat square and level and the sash can be made somewhat square...this will require a person with some carpentry skills and possibly opening up the wall beneath the sill.....

...jade

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

I had 2 like that. Mine were in a brick wall and not easily re-squared. Mine were about a 1/2" off. I cut a wedge off the bottom of the lower sash and added a wedge on the top of the top sash. So my 2 windows were then a parallelogram like the opening.

The bottom sash cut was tricky with the sill angle and wedge angle.

ShingleVictorian (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by ShingleVictorian (WavyGlass) »

Thank you for the replies! I believe the entire frame has dropped a little on the right side which is causing a small gap between the upper sash and frame in the upper left corner. Because there are so many layers of paint build up I can't tell if the sash will still move smoothly up and down or if it's going to bind because of the sag. This window is in the stone part of the house and directly above a large radiator so I don't think opening up the wall is a good option, at least not if we're doing the work our selves. Sounds like I might need to have a little help with this one.
Angela
"He who loves an old house never loves in vain."
-Isabel La Howe Conant
http://s308.photobucket.com/user/lilbay ... ett%20Home

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

some pictures would help enormously Angela
Mick...