Chimney Cap

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Sashguy

Chimney Cap

Post by Sashguy »

On the way back from the job site, I noticed a house with a rather unique chimney cap. Bet that you are all dying to have one just like it. BTW, no appliances on the front porch (G).
Attachments
bin.JPG
bin.JPG (103.05 KiB) Viewed 1076 times

DRJR
Knows the area

Re: Chimney Cap

Post by DRJR »

I usually use a piece of plywood. :lol:

I need to remember this next time. :mrgreen:
Home formally know as Rotten Ranch

Patched up fireplace, rotten and new siding, with other issues getting the arts and crafts makeover. :mrgreen:

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SkipW »

Wow, nice...must help keep the rain out and dissipates heat well too...for a minute or two.
Etta says "WOOF"

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

Our chimney cap has a bunch of giant sandbags on it, which are normally not visible from the ground, but every couple years they shift into view and we look like hillbillies. Our chimney cap is one enormous piece that covers the outlet for 3 fireplaces and it flexed SO loudly in storms that it echoed throughout the house. The sandbags let us sleep at night.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

I have a functioning chimney, no cap. I peeked inside and it is just an open brick square all the way to the dirt. I was told there was a fireplace at one time, which was converted to wood burning stove. Still have the exhaust port in the wall, which has been "greatfoamed" in. I am considering another stove, and I found a couple on craigslist.

So! I am looking for, or may make my own chimney cap.......um...not one like that. :)
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Don M

Post by Don M »

Nicholas wrote:I have a functioning chimney, no cap. I peeked inside and it is just an open brick square all the way to the dirt. I was told there was a fireplace at one time, which was converted to wood burning stove. Still have the exhaust port in the wall, which has been "greatfoamed" in. I am considering another stove, and I found a couple on craigslist.

So! I am looking for, or may make my own chimney cap.......um...not one like that. :)

Make sure you have your chimney inspected to be sure it is safe to use. Unlined chimneys sometimes can be dangerous & may cause a chimney fire.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

ditto that, "brick square" sounds like it doesnt even have a tile liner. Chimneys built like that then unused for a while (after being used) often have issues with the mortar on the inside. Consider getting a cast in place liner (which reinforces the masonry or at least get a stainless metal liner fitted.
Mick...

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

mick_vt wrote:ditto that, "brick square" sounds like it doesnt even have a tile liner. Chimneys built like that then unused for a while (after being used) often have issues with the mortar on the inside. Consider getting a cast in place liner (which reinforces the masonry or at least get a stainless metal liner fitted.

The chimney does appear to have a liner at the top, since I may go back to a stove which it had up until 2003 I will be sure to do it correctly, thanks.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House