The Smellyhouse Redesign needs your help!

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
SmellyHouse
Been here a while

The Smellyhouse Redesign needs your help!

Post by SmellyHouse »

Well, WavyGlassers, the time has come.

The Smellyhouse is finally getting its upgrade. I've received the first draft of my old house architect's plans.....and would like your feedback.

There are 4 sets of plans:
Existing
Plan A: Existing footprint + 1 gabled dormer
Plan B: Existing footprint + double shed dormers and rebuilding of side entrance (to be used as 1/2 bath down + first floor closet..with a basement underneath (current side entrance is on piers)).
Plan C: Existing footprint + 1 gabled dormer + slight expansion of existing side entrance.
Plan D: Not even showing you..was a split level addition in order to get a garage. Yucko

Big Themes:
1. Eventually, I would like to get to 1100 sq foot, 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath with the smallest addition possible (this will get me to the lowest end of normal for my neighborhood, and get me a lot more resale value).
2. Cannot build off the back or front of the house...which stinks, particularly off the back.
3. Priorities: Rebuilt kitchen, bath, replace mechanicals and take advantage of park view. Then 1/2 bath and closet down. Then a 3rd bedroom up.
4. I go back and forth on adding a family room off the 'deck' side' of the house...which has amazing view of the park and morning sun. Will it render my current (and admittedly dark) LR obsolete? But if I am going to dig a foundation for the side entrance and 1/2 bath, would it be that much more to build out a whole room?)
5. None of the current plans address my biggest concern...taking advantage of the 60 acres of wooded parkland behind the house...not even a decent sitting room. I would like that, somehow in the existing footprint..it could be 10 years to never to add on a full side addition (since it's only me).
6. Even though she's an old house expert, her closest sizing seems obscene for the size of the house...
7. Worried a bit about how the upstairs bath sits over the kitchen (in plans A and B).

Full set of current plans and my comments are in the attached.
http://s818.photobucket.com/user/navi_j ... 20drawings

Previous architect's docs are also attached
http://s818.photobucket.com/user/navi_j ... 20Drawings

Welcome everyone's feedback!

Thanks,

Smelly Jen :)

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Re: The Smellyhouse Redesign needs your help!

Post by JRC »

I just took a very quick look at the drawings--mostly the elevations. From my Midwest/rust-belt eye, I think the elevations of plan B look most authentic. But, I don't have a feel for the context. (e.g. ugly neighbor's house, forested parklands, etc.)

I know this isn't that helpful, sorry. :)

Superbeetle
Been here a while

Post by Superbeetle »

Well, I studied these for a long time. The u-shaped kitchen is by far the most useful, without being an ugly open-concept plan. (I'm a serious cook, and I hate open plans. I want to be by myself and concentrating only on cooking!) I don't like the dormer "wings" or the half gable either. I think to do that, you have to go the full cross gable to keep it balanced.

I really liked plan C with the narrow bathroom (though I do agree that the second bedroom does not need two closets). It doesn't solve your desire for a sitting area that overlooks the park. I don't think you're going to be able to get it without the larger family room addition or without flipping the kitchen and living room (which might cost almost as much with all the rerouted plumbing and would destroy a lot of the historic character. The one thing that might work would be a bay off the back of the dining room with a window seat.

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

Your house plans are very close to my house. All we had downstairs is the dining room, kitchen (16x16) and the front parlour.
Upstairs the 3 bedrooms were the same configuration. I missed seeing where the chimney is...
The idea of where you want to put your bath was better than where our is, (even if it does end up on top of your kitchen) you have to walk through the bedroom at the top of the staircase to access it at our house (not smart but there is no way to ever improve on it as it was done years ago). Bath in a place where all can get at it rocks.

The idea of BIG closets to me is just nuts. I have small ones and once the McMansion walk in closet trend is over people will be making dirty remarks as to "mini board rooms". Put in what you like and if anyone in the future wants a bigger closet they can put in their own. You are living there now, please yourself.

example: In an act of stupidity the person who sold us their house took down the pool (because a pool doesn't sell a house - but try an arial view of any neighborhood and see how many people have one!). We would have loved it and were disappointed to find out it was gone. We sold house with our pool. The new owners took it down a couple of years later.

Second a nice bay window in the dining room would be a great view. I have a bump out on the back of my house and it has 2 7ft picture windows. My back yard borders the town forest. Room with a view: priceless.

If you need any insight to what ill planned add ons do to your house model, here is my album. http://s166.photobucket.com/user/Wackyshack/profile/

Best of luck..Love to see what you are going to do with good planning. I am sure it will be awesome.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!