what happens if I put stain over paint?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
phil
Has many leather bound books

what happens if I put stain over paint?

Post by phil »

Just want to do my handrails, I have some house stain about the right color, it is like a dull paint, the kind of stain that sits on top, not the kind you wipe into the wood. it has hiding power you can't see the grain under it. right now it has gloss white oil base. can I sand that and put my stain over or do I need to use paint? Im pretty sure it will cover and I would sand to break the glaze.

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Re: what happens if I put stain over paint?

Post by SkipW »

Sounds like you have solid color stain. Check if it's older (oil) or newer (latex). If it is SCS it really is just like paint. I am painting a house for a client right now ans using SCS, flows nice and covers well. There is siding stain and decking stain, the deck version is a bit more rugged to withstand foot traffic, etc, but can be used in the same way.

Even if the existing white oil base is in good shape, I would recommend a primer like BIN which is shellac based and will adhere to the oil paint and give you a good base for your stain.
Etta says "WOOF"

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: what happens if I put stain over paint?

Post by phil »

thanks for that yes it is oil base. the paint is oil base, I primered and painted them a couple years ago and the paint is fine I just don't know what I was thinking painting them white, my trim is blood red so white has no place on my house. I don't have a lot to loose. I keep thinking Ill thicken up that railing by covering it with a board or maybe two boards to make it look a little more robust, maybe to have a peak with just a 4 degree slope on either side of the peak. but that can come later.
my house only has a thin coat or two of stain, so i am lucky not much to scrape when I do paint and I am thinking of using a stain not a paint. it doesn't peel it just flakes off when it wears out.
I hear of so many painting their houses but I don't want it shiny and so a solid stain seems the best option I can see. I am not sure about all this new enviro paint though.