Question About Installing Antique Mantel w/Summer Cover

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Question About Installing Antique Mantel w/Summer Cover

Post by lovesickest »

When we bought the house - the existing fireplaces were long bricked in. There was a so-so mantel, which we traded for a light fixture. Later a better antique mantel was found but never permanently installed.

One of the dilemmas was that there was the metal arch and summer cover grate - which were meant to fit into the opening - which was now closed and flat. The hard solution was to cut into the brick to make it fit - and the simple solution was to build the mantel so that it would project slightly to accommodate the arch and summer cover. Someone had done a great job doing a faux marble finish on the mantel - except that several paint coats prior to this the surface was nor prepped properly - so the layers underneath were lifting off. I realized that I would need to strip the entire thing - which would then allow patching and repairs, and the necessary faking in of the depth with a little extra wood - so then it would be prepped and painted the same color to hopefully appear that it has always been like this.

Has anyone done this ? What is the suggested way to attach the cast iron arch - then the summer cover ? The cover itself has a couple of holes where it looks like it could be attached with hooks - though I read online that it was often attached like a hanging picture with wire. The chances of the fireplace being converted to gas or woodburning are about 0.0005% due to the expense, extra insurance hassles and other more demanding priorities.

I did see an antique fireplace in a real estate listing that seemed to have been built out v.s. remaining flush with the wall as this one has originally seemed to have been.

Any wisdom or advice about the best way to manage and install this ? I watched a short video about installing a french cleat as a secure way to hang this. Here are a couple of pics to better explain the mantel in question. Apologies for the weird angles of the pics. It is on a couple of horses in the driveway - I am looking straight down in the first pic - plus a cat cameo, too.

Beforemantel.jpg
Beforemantel.jpg (61.12 KiB) Viewed 1167 times

Onehourheatstrip.jpg
Onehourheatstrip.jpg (72.94 KiB) Viewed 1167 times

This is the reference pic:

6.E.Powell.Ave.270.jpg
6.E.Powell.Ave.270.jpg (27.83 KiB) Viewed 1167 times

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Question About Installing Antique Mantel w/Summer Cover

Post by phil »

I'd use these, then you can just put it against the wall and drop it down, if you ever want to remove it , it's easy.
I put the handrail to my attic on these. I made a little pocket so the railing fits flush at either end , no one knows, it is solid, but if I want to get furniture into the attic I can remove the handrail. and they are cheap. just buy them in pairs and they hook together.
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/1-13-16 ... ger/956595

or these will work but I like the flat metal ones in the above link the best, easier to get hooked on.
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/double- ... ger/956638