This was a sad day in Knoxville

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
CrestwoodCottage
Knows the back streets

This was a sad day in Knoxville

Post by CrestwoodCottage »

Knoxville, TN recently had a really sad day in the historic preservation world...not one thing was salvaged from this beautiful house.

http://www.knoxmercury.com/2015/05/26/historic-christenberry-house-demolished/

We have another house that is being threatened to be demolished for a Wal-mart...Did I mention we already have at least 7 Wal-marts in Knoxville, not to mention one in each surrounding county.

http://knoxheritage.org/properties-for-sale/100-year-old-historic-knoxville-iconic-home-in-danger-of-being-demolished/
*Formerly known as CedarLaneBungalow*

heartwood

Re: This was a sad day in Knoxville

Post by heartwood »

Walmart is our enemy!!! I have never stepped foot in one and never will....what a shame about the houses being demolished....got an arm around your shoulder....
...jade

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Quiet... Listen.... I think that I hear Joni Mitchell singing.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

pave paradise put up a Walmart...................

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

If anybody had any brains, they could have at least held an auction, to sell any salvage. What a waste.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Don M

Post by Don M »

Probably didn't have time to have an auction because they were in a rush to demolish the house before anyone found out & put a stop to it. :evil: :evil:

CrestwoodCottage
Knows the back streets

Post by CrestwoodCottage »

That's right Don! The city has put a new law in place where historic properties now have to wait 60 days after receiving a demolition permit before they can start. This gives local preservation groups the chance to get involved but in this particular case they hadn't put it in place yet and were voting in a couple of days. If he didn't demolish the house that week he would have fallen under the new law and it would have stalled him. Even worse is our historic preservation groups office is a mansion that sits right across the road from the house they demolished. So it was really a slap in the face!
*Formerly known as CedarLaneBungalow*

bfarwell
Been here a while

Post by bfarwell »

bastards. If I were dictator of the world...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

in Massachusetts, we have 1-2 YEAR demolition delays...doesn't sit well with homeowners or developers but some houses have been saved...the historic commission will assist in coming up with ideas for reuse or dismantling to move the house to a new location....we currently have workshops for town historic commissions to attend and learn about the demolition delay process and how to institute one in their location....

I remember a local school being demolished a few years back...many (elder) former students showed up to watch the wrecking ball do it's thing...the bell tower was saved but there were many a teary eye in the crowd...

...jade