Well...it's begun. Need lighting ideas for whole house

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
wletson
Been here a good while

Re: Well...it's begun. Need lighting ideas for whole house

Post by wletson »

senegal_jen wrote: ...maybe I am overthinking a bit. Anything I pick will be miles ahead of the POs! :)

Exactly! As long as you're moving in the right direction, nobody is going to question your choices.

Knowing exactly which light fixtures you're going to use isn't necessarily that important, but you are correct in thinking that you have to know what type is going where. Your kitchen will be the toughest and most important place to plan. It is the one room where you really don't usually augment the general room lighting (ceiling fixtures) with other sources like table and floor lamps. One thing I'd suggest is... if you like spending time in the kitchen like I do, don't sacrifice the usability or function of the kitchen because you want to keep the lighting fixtures "correct". If you need to include "task" lighting to make the kitchen more comfortable, do it. Just keep it simple so it doesn't make too much of a statement.

In my house, most rooms I am considering the ceiling lights simply as one more source of light. They certainly do have an impact on the room (like the necklace you wear with a little black dress). I prefer most of my rooms to have enough other sources of light, table and floor, to only use those at times to have a more inviting, low-level light effect. Those are going to make a big impact on the look of the room as well. (the other jewelry and shoes with the dress)
Warren

Don M

Re: Well...it's begun. Need lighting ideas for whole house

Post by Don M »

I agree with Warren; I don't really like ceiling lights in bed rooms, living or family rooms because they tend to be too garish & bright. They are fine in kitchens, hallways, dining rooms, foyers but I like table & floor lamps to make the rooms more comfortable & enhance the furnishings in my opinion. ;)