Living room layout help

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
YoungHomeOwner (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Living room layout help

Post by YoungHomeOwner (WavyGlass) »

I'm looking to buy furniture for my unique living room space. I measured the space hoping it would help me with placement but it really hasn't. If anyone can offer any help that would be great. Mostly focused on figuring the living room out. I'm open to a sectional, couch(s), loveseat(s), chair(s) or really anything.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 832 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (35.15 KiB) Viewed 832 times

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Living room layout help

Post by JRC »

You probably won't want to read this, but I'd treat the 2 legs of your L-shaped living room as 2 different rooms: the foyer and living room, and use furniture to define them.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I'm guessing that living room might have been two rooms when the place was built, the original being the same size as the dining room and with a largish entry hall where the stairs are?
Mick...

SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Post by SmellyHouse »

Mick is absolutley right..someone took down a wall...it's incredibly rare on an old house (particuarly one your size) to not have an entrance hall. And I agree with JRCC, I would suggest a long hall table to visually rebuild the missing wall, maybe with a small armchair on the 'entrance hall' wall nearest the coat closet, and seated coatrack to the left of the front door.

Then, you can have a sofa on the 'living room' side of the hall table to define the living room.

And, please post other pictures. We WG'ers are noisy that way :) And welcome!

Don M

Post by Don M »

Looks like an interesting home, I am more of a traditionalist so would select, sofa, love seat & easy chair for your house. I have a large living room in a second house & bought a sectional which fits the space but it takes up a lot of room, plus sectionals usually only fit one way in a room which limits arrangement of other pieces.

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

I like the suggestions given so far. Here's another one: skip the loveseat. Look for a sofa placed in front of the fireplace. The two chairs offer so many confirmations and possibilities. Is there to be a TV in the room? I'd put it in the corner where the living rooms meets dining room meets kitchen. The light is behind you , then.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

I'd give serious consideration to building a wall there back where it should be, just to the left of the doorway. Even if the wall is mainly open or just an archway. There should be something besides furniture denoting the space. I always feel it is a huge mistake to rip walls out. It makes the rooms SMALLER, not larger, in terms of furniture placement. Without the wall you have much less space to work with, furniture wise.

You didn't say what activities are going on here. Television? Just a sitting room? Can you give us an interior pic?

raine
Settling in

Post by raine »

Just an option here : Put the dining room in there with the living room and use the dining room for something else . Office ? , library? sewing room? TV room ?

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

Pretty much what everyone else said. Sofa table where the wall was, with a sofa against it facing into the living room. Then treat the foyer as a foyer. Depending on how much space you have, you could do just a round rug and a round entry table with a nice centerpiece (which really just makes the entry for show) or make it functional with a bench along the wall with the stairs, plus a high back chair and small table in the corner and another beside the front door. A nice runner from the entry door toward the door at the end of the foyer would also help set it off visually from the living room. From there, furnishing the living room should be a piece of cake.