Period appropriate window coverings

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Mellydramatic
Settling in

Period appropriate window coverings

Post by Mellydramatic »

We've just bought an original 1926 Chicago style bungalow. All of it's beautiful douglas fir wood trim is intact. There are lots of windows and I'm looking for window coverings that I could use throughout the house that would allow me to control the amount of light coming in without covering the woodwork. What would you suggest?

Mick_VT

Re: Period appropriate window coverings

Post by Mick_VT »

wooden venetian blinds. Period, and easily obtainable and can compliment the wood very nicely
Mick...

Don M

Post by Don M »

mick_vt wrote:wooden venetian blinds. Period, and easily obtainable and can compliment the wood very nicely

Yes, we have them in the living room & library.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

.....and here would be another sin that I committed: faux wood blinds from walmart.com.

We chose Maple. Online only, our 36x 48 were 26 bucks apiece. You can see them in my bragbook interior shots.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Mellydramatic
Settling in

Post by Mellydramatic »

Could I do the blinds in white? Though I love the trim, I don't want too much of the yellow/orange color of the douglas fir.

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Mellydramatic wrote:Could I do the blinds in white? Though I love the trim, I don't want too much of the yellow/orange color of the douglas fir.

You should do them in whatever color will make you happy - you're the one that will be using them.

I also really like rollerblinds and roman shades and think they can look very period appropriate. Granted, I'm not using them right now - I'm not quite ready to commit to color schemes enough to invest in window treatments. Curtains all the way around right now.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I like the simplicity of curtains, and the pull down roll type blinds.

wood blinds originally ? would these be vertical blinds or horizantal? how wide were they ? I dont' think I have ever seen a really old set of blinds.