The mantle project!

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
pappster85
Settling in

The mantle project!

Post by pappster85 »

Sad to say, but in the 1950's the owner at the time decided it would be great to strip the living room of the original mantle, built in book shelves, and even cover the windows! Slowly I have been testing my skill with oak woodworking. I have no clue as to what the original mantle looked like so I did the best I could after reading a few books related to craftsmen style homes. The only thing that matches the original would be the shelf spacing. Marks were left on the plaster that showed how they laid out. The pointed pieces were an idea that came from the outside of the home. Every peak on the home has the same touch facing downward. Thoughts? Improvements?

Fireplace Mantle Photos

wletson
Been here a good while

Re: The mantle project!

Post by wletson »

Really nice work! The pointy things are a nice touch, especially considering they reflect a detail already on the house. I will be tackling a similar project this winter. My house isn't quite in the right era, but I'm planning on doing my wall in craftsman style too. Might steal an idea or two from your work. :)
Warren

Don M

Post by Don M »

Very nice work, I think you have done a beautiful job replicating the bookcases & mantle. What are your plans for the fireplace surround?

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Here is one that was in a 1930 version that we were considering, similar to your layout, but I like the extra detail on yours.
Attachments
LivRm1.JPG
LivRm1.JPG (162.6 KiB) Viewed 643 times
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Don M

Post by Don M »

Hi Pappster85,
I can't imagine what the PO of your home was thinking; after looking at the original condition of your living room when you bought the house I am amazed that you were able to transform it back to pretty much it's original condition. You are so lucky that the PO didn't damage the original coved ceiling. I gather that the large picture window was a 1950's addition which you chose to retain. Your wood work is outstanding & I think you did a super job building replacement cabinets & mantle. I think your design is even nicer than what was probably there originally.
Don

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

if it isn't too late one thought might be to put a strip of about 3/4 or 1 inch by say 1/4 along the edge of each shelf. Just make the front edge thicker. leave it flush on top. It would appear that the shelves were thicker than the standard plywood, also adds a little strength, if it needs it. Probably strong enough it's just a detail. you can also add a small strip along the back edge of shelves if you want more strength.
the pointy details look nice.

pappster85
Settling in

Post by pappster85 »

Thank you very much for the kind words! I am not sure why, but I was not being sent any notifications when a reply was made to the post. Opps! As for around the fireplace, I plan to tile it. Something that is right for the period of the home. I am thankful that the windows were not removed. They were in great shape seeing how they had been covered up in 1953. I wish that I could do something with that huge picture window. I can't stand the thing and would rather have three double hung windows side by side in that opening. I suspect that is what was there before. Maybe some day when I run out of things to do. Yeah I know, don't laugh too hard! :-)

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

pappster85 wrote:Maybe some day when I run out of things to do. Yeah I know, don't laugh too hard! :-)

I nearly spewed my milk out of my nose! :D

I consider myself lucky that the previous owners at least put hung windows in when they replaced the originals in my livingroom. (left side of my front door)
Warren

pappster85
Settling in

Post by pappster85 »

Well let's be thankful for that. A few of my neighbors think that I should install new vinyl windows like they did...... I would bang my head on the wall if it wasn't rock hard plaster!