Do you have to paint over Sarco putty?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
arwenmark
Knows the back streets

Do you have to paint over Sarco putty?

Post by arwenmark »

I know you are not suppose to prime over Sarco, but do you HAVE to paint it? I am planning to paint the windows after stripping and any repair Do weather stripping and then do the putting back the pains of glass and glazing.
Do I then have to do a coat of paint on the glazing? Or is the glazing ok without paint?

Vala

Re: Do you have to paint over Sarco putty?

Post by Vala »

It is my understanding that you must paint it or it will dry up and fall out in a matter of months.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

correct, do not prime over sarco putty (unless it has set up for 4 weeks or so, the solvents in the primer tend to break down the putty)...YES, you must paint the putty--two to three coats is recommended for the wood and the putty--using oil (alkyd) or water (latex, acrylic) based finish paint...
...jade

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Paint is 100% necessary to ensure that water does not penetrate between the glass and the putty; as sticky as the stuff is, glass is completely impermeable, water can get in, then it is a matter of a season or two before the putty is lost.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

arwenmark
Knows the back streets

Post by arwenmark »

Ok thanks, I was afraid that was the answer.

First phase is to scrape and paint the outside framing of the second floor windows so that new triple track storms can go up, leaving the windows themselves alone for now. We only have a couple weeks to do this phase.

Then once I am actually living there, I will start removing those windows with storms to rehab the windows themselves.

There are eight windows that need the outside trim painted on the sides and the top of the windows, I just bought 2 gallons of Allure paint on sale at 62.00 a gallon. I hope that is enough for this trim. Also got two gallons of Zinnzer Oil based Primer/sealer.