Help with unremovable window

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Vala

Help with unremovable window

Post by Vala »

Well I'm working on the last 2 attic windows to restore and I'm stuck. See attached image. I have removed the right window easily but the left window seems to be "stuck" in place and I'm stumped on how to remove it. The right window is a casement with spring bolts with hinges on the bottom and was nailed in place at the top (which was easy to fix and remove) the one on the left has no such hinges probably because it was built in front of the chimney and while I can't tell for sure, it doesn't seem to be nailed the same way the other one was. Pushing on it from either side doesn't work it won't come loose and I'd rather remove it to restore rather than be forced to restore it in place considering it is on the 3rd story gable and I really have no idea how to proceed on this.

Bonus: the newly uncovered east gable fishscales, none worse for wear except for the bug droppings blackening the upper portion. And before anyone asks, I did fix the plywood in the right window to be properly in place.

Thanks,
Attachments
window.jpg
window.jpg (238.81 KiB) Viewed 698 times

Gothichome

Re: Help with unremovable window

Post by Gothichome »

Val's, I'm sure you would have thought of this but has it been painted in place.you may need to take a sharp knife and score the paint on the out side.

Vala

Post by Vala »

I'll investigate that possibility.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I fit were me I might take a heat gun up there get the paint right out the way to see what is going on.
Mick...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I will bet the sash is indeed painted in place--at the interior and exterior...may be time to get a ladder out...or, using a new utility blade, score the paint around the perimeter at the interior...continue to score til you are through the paint...use a thin putty knife gently hammered to open the space between the sash and jamb...then use a thicker stiff putty knife to gently rock the sash side to side and top to bottom...if the sash doesn't budge, use a block (a 1" x 4" x 12" for example) held up against the stile and rail and tap with a hammer...this may break the paint on the exterior...be patient, it could take a while...the sash won't fall to the outside as it is held in by the blind stop (exterior trim)...you want to whack the block hard enough to break the paint but not the trim...
good luck!
...jade

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I keep thinking of buying one of these multi tools. they seem so handy for awkward places. I wonder if one would help to free up windows and such too. they will reach places you really can't get into with a saw.

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Module ... ame=XMT03Z

Don M

Post by Don M »

The fact that it has a chimney behind it may indicate that it never was intended to be removed or opened. It may have been installed as a complete unit. Good luck with the suggested paint seal approach; hopefully that will result in success.

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

It is most likely the exact same window as the other one. Your problem will be that it is going to be nearly impossible to reach it from the inside. If you can score the paint and get it to come loose you should be able to slide it past the chimney. That will mean scoring the paint from the outside. And if you're doing that you might as well just do the window in place. Depending on how wide that section of roof is it shouldn't be too bad to work up there.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Unfortunately I haven't done anything in about a week. Every day is 90s with hot and humid weather. Gotta love them Illinois summers!