Relocating built in buffet

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Relocating built in buffet

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Our place is also a craftsman interior with Douglas Fir trim. We've used a variety of deep earth-tone greens, brick colors, ochers etc. You can see photos here: www.saracenihouse.com Bradbury and Bradbury (a reproduction wallpaper company) is a great resource for color schemes... even if you don't buy wallpaper.

Chris

Mellydramatic
Settling in

Post by Mellydramatic »

Thanks for the help, Chris. Off to look at your house now.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Are you thinking of painting the trim or the walls?
Diane

Mellydramatic
Settling in

Post by Mellydramatic »

nlswitz wrote:Welcome! I agree with others who suggested living with the house for a year. We too have a buffet between the kitchen and dining room. All our wood trim is also Douglas Fir. After refinishing all the wood we painted the walls with BM Georgian Green. This or similar shades of green look really nice with the wood. Have fun on your old house journey.

How did you "refinish" the wood? Did you have to strip it? Was it just old and tired? I'm wondering about mine since it is quite orange/yellow. Is there any way to mellow the color without completely refinishing.

nlswitz
Been here a while

Post by nlswitz »

[/quote]
How did you "refinish" the wood? Did you have to strip it? Was it just old and tired? I'm wondering about mine since it is quite orange/yellow. Is there any way to mellow the color without completely refinishing.[/quote]

I ended up stripping all the previous finish off the wood. This was mostly because we had more than one finish (super high gloomy that looked like plastic, glossy, satin, and matte). We had it all. The wood was also stained red because previous owners were trying to have redwood. We also had to remove some paneling in various places and then have missing trim milled and replaced. It was a huge job that I mostly did by myself and there were times when I wondered what I got myself into. But now that it's all done I'm glad I did it.
If you don't have the mess that I had, I would suggest you try and clean and condition before going down the stripping and refinishing road.

Mellydramatic
Settling in

Post by Mellydramatic »

Powermuffin wrote:Are you thinking of painting the trim or the walls?
Diane

Powermuffin, painting only walls. Woodwork will all stay natural.

SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Post by SmellyHouse »

Melly, welcome to WavyGlass! And what a cute bungalow...love those midwestern brickees.

I'm interested to see what you come up with, as I'm stuck in the same dilemma. I have a small 12x10 kitchen and another 11x10 DR, and I would like to move the kitchen to LR doorway to have a nice U shaped kitchen...which means bye bye (or relocation of) my built in. Do you have room to relocate it into a corner? That's what I am thinking about doing, and my pinterest site has a few examples. https://www.pinterest.com/navi_jen/jo-home-renovation/

My architect also wants me to consider forgoing the stick built built-in and instead add a small DR bump out (size of a traditional window seat) with higher windows and put a sideboard in there. Is that an option? Something like this?

The other thing to note...traditionally in houses built in the early 20th c. the extra wide doorway was between the LR and DR, not the DR and KT. If that doorway is opened, it will definitely be noticeable as a new century change. Can you steal some light/flow from the LR instead of the kitchen?