Dormer project

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
heartwood

Re: Dormer project

Post by heartwood »

how many times can I attribute the word 'amazing' to the same person and his house?? as many times as you post photos I guess...that's a lot of work to accomplish in a relatively short period of time...how fortunate to find the trim so intact and in good shape...
carry on......
....jade

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I am starting to think you might have your own personaltribe of umpah loompahs working with you, the speed you go! Really nice work Matt, I love following your progress on here.
Mick...

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

And 2 topcoats

Next is the siding and installing the sashes. I'll finish this up in a few days or so.

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

The siding is done. That brought back memories.....

Tomorrow install the sashes and I'll be done. I'm leaving the scaffold up another week for some minor roof work.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I really wish there was a "like" button on this forum
Mick...

mkeller234
Been here a while

Post by mkeller234 »

That dormer looks amazing! I can't believe how fast you stripped the old paint off. This project probably would have taken me a year.... granted, I am good at dragging projects out until my wife puts some pressure on.

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

Finished up tonight. Just need to clean up my tools and the attic. It was too dark for pics but here's one from the inside showing the curtains. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

And here's a before from google maps that's a few years old

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Matt, never noticed the long angle items on your roof before. They look to be copper or rusty galvanized, either way it appears they are to divert rain water. If so, why would they have done this? Looks as if the water would be forced to drain past the corners of your dormer.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Fancy curtains! I see knob & tube wiring, is it still connected? Was it for a light in the window? ;)

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

The entire center section of the roof on both sides of the former is set in about 4 inches. Bad design but doesn't leak. They did this just for a fancy roof design.

The knob and tube I believe may be the original line in. I keep forgetting to check if it is still connected to anything. There are 2 fuses above the window and 2 glass insulators. I did fill the thru holes to the outside.