Help me save my historic district

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Help me save my historic district

Post by mattswabb »

Here's the latest news article. This one makes us look better. That's our house shown in the article.

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2015 ... ric-homes/

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

One of my specialties is doing opposition research and developing strategies for local issues. I've done it for years. If you have any questions I'd be happy to pitch in. What I will not do is put it up on a public bulletin board because some times what works can be kind of controversial or at least seem that way. Feel free to give me a shout if you want to bounce any ideas around. I've worked for some pretty major clients over the years and have a fairly solid track record. Except when it came to my own campaign and that went up in a glorious burst of flames that is still raining down smoldering debris across the local political landscape. Some times someone with a bit of perspective different from your own is a very good thing.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

mattswabb wrote:Here's the latest news article. This one makes us look better. That's our house shown in the article.

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2015 ... ric-homes/

That was a nice picture of your house, but whomever hosted the article redacted the text. Can you copy/past that part somewhere?

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Neighmond wrote:

That was a nice picture of your house, but whomever hosted the article redacted the text. Can you copy/past that part somewhere?

I ran into that too. You have to answer the stupid questions in that survey to read the article.

Congrats to the Swabbs for the mention and the pic.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Matt, that article does work in your favour. The people mentioned who bought their house fully restored seem to have lost the reason they bought the house, restored in a quiet neighbourhood close to the school. Shame on them for not wanting to maintain, the restored home in quite neighbourhood close to a school. Seems to me they would do better, selling and buying a bulldozer bait for the property and building an infill. They can have any thing they want then. The other fellow just seems to make his homes more sellable.

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

Were there typos in those quotes, or is that one couple as uneducated as they sound? (I think I can guess the answer to this one.)

mkeller234
Been here a while

Post by mkeller234 »

I sure don't understand wrapping that beautiful house in vinyl. It looks pretty darned nice in those photos. Does it not cost a small fortune to install vinyl anyway? I agree that the quotes from that couple sound pretty bad. They are basically on the record saying that they don't care, and in a pretty low-brow way to boot.

Good luck Matt, I really hope the best for you. I follow another forum (urbanohio.com) that has a large Cleveland presence. I wonder if there is anyone there that could help?

matchbookhouse
Been here a while

Post by matchbookhouse »

That second article sounded a lot more favorable toward preservation (or at least it made the non-preservation people sound pretty stupid), plus the comments were entirely pro-preservation. Kudos. I certainly hope that they don't allow the withdrawal of these properties; it would be a travesty.