In need of Suggestions on properly installing a window air c

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
purplehouse (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

In need of Suggestions on properly installing a window air c

Post by purplehouse (WavyGlass) »

We need to install a window air conditioner in our old house. I am trying to avoid damaging the interior and exterior trim with the weight of the unit and would appreciate some feedback on the best way install it and if you foresee any problems. A challenge I see is the difference in heights of the window channel juxtaposed to the window sills...nothing is flush at all. Maybe I am overthinking all this but every time we think something is easy to do on this house it becomes a nightmare. I have attached a couple of pictures, one of the exterior and one of the interior. The interior has a radiator just below the window. The unit weights 108 pounds.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (154.99 KiB) Viewed 543 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (180.7 KiB) Viewed 543 times

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: In need of Suggestions on properly installing a window a

Post by phil »

you can use some L brackets and put the unit on a shelf mostly outside the window. it should usually slope down a little at the back so the water drips outside but if it is tilted too much it might reduce the efficiency as they usually blow the fan over the water they make to help cooling.

I just use mine when it is really hot and I don't want to permanently install it so I just made a shelf with a hook that I can put out the window and it hooks under the sill on the inside. so all I need to do is open the window, hook on my sill, plunk the AC unit down and I plug the rest of the hole with rigid insulation. If I go out for any length of time I just take it out so I can lock the window. My board with hook fits other wndows so I can choose which window I want it in. it is just a piece of plywood, with spacer about 2 x2" by width of AC unit , ( a little thicker than the sill) then a 2x4 same length as spacer. (to hook under the sill) instead of painting I just wrapped the board with aluminum sheet stock , but you could just paint the board or do nothing. make the fit over around the edge of the sill loose enough that it tips downward a bit to the outside so the water goes outside.

If its a permanent installation you need to think about break ins , often they just look for an AC unit and yank that out and presto they are in your house so at least get a couple screws in there so they can't do that if break ins are a concern.

I would think that being a window unit, window units would be removed at least in wintertime so not realty permanent right ?

if it isn't screwed down it's not a bad idea to have a safety chain or rope or something so it can't vibrate out the window and fall outside.

purplehouse (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

This will only be installed during the summer months. So will water also be running over my porch decking? If so, is there a way to capture the water or divert it? This is the only window we can use that would maximize our floor plan layout.

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

Here's mine. I made this one for a smaller window unit. There are 2 small metal brackets that screw to the backside of the sill. The small board on the back (outside) is cut at an angle to match the sill.

And a similar design but for my large heavy unit.

The weight is shared by the board resting on the sill and the outside sill. The screws just keep it from tilting out. I made mine to clear the screen frames.

purplehouse (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Wow Matt that is an impressive and well thought out design and exactly what we need. I will have to share this with a carpenter and see what they could do.

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

I repair quite a few sashes that have been damaged or destroyed by window units.
Place a 2" x 4" in the sash track to support the top of the unit, then pull the lower sash down onto the 2" x 4".
If you want to go 1st class, cut the top of the 2" x 4" on a 10 deg angle and have a short sash made to fit from the meeting rail to the top of the 2" x 4". I've done several of these and they look great and can be latched.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

yes they all drip. try to use materials that don't mind water, at least plywood. you can make a drip tray or collect the stuff to a bottle.

I stuck one in the attic in a box with a big blower to blow through the box and cool the unit then made baffles to separate the cooling section , then another blower push fresh air through the AC unit and into the house, it exhausts the hot air from the attic through the back of the unit.
I made a tray for any water and ran that outside via a little hose. Since I exhaust so much hot air through the back it evaporates pretty much all of it. I just get a few drips on really humid days which is rare here. i made a lexan window so I can control the thing with the remote that came with it. I clad the whole big box with alunimum sheet stock. it is quiet because it is inside a plywood box and behind a wall. so it is actually just a window unit but I never have to move it and it doesn't block the window, but making the box and baffles and all the ductwork was a large job. I have the option to send the cold air to my basement workshop via the heat ducting. someone with more money would buy a unit that works with the central heating but this was my 200 dollar solution and its been working great for the past 5 years.