Painting metal ridge cap

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Painting metal ridge cap

Post by mattswabb »

We have galvanized metal ridge cap. I believe it to be original and was reused when the slate was removed in 1990. We expect to get another 10-15 years out of our roof but the cap looks bad. We've discussed painting it.

Below is a pic of the garage. This is typical of the house roof. Anyone have a recommendation on what to paint it with. I will NOT be removing the surface rust. I'll be terrified just painting it. So just need to paint over what is there.

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Painting metal ridge cap

Post by SkipW »

There are plenty of high priced high power rust converters that you could use to protect them but you can also go to the big box store for Corroseal, which is an inexpensive converter that seals and primes in one step and it turns rust black which may work for your slate roof. You can then paint it if you so desire.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Corroseal-1- ... /202960541
Last edited by SkipW on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Etta says "WOOF"

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

wire brush the heck out of it (using a wire brush in an angle grinder) rust converter then multiple coats of rustoleum. This is what my Jeep frame gets, works great.
Mick...

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

That Corroseal looks good but I'm looking for a 1 time application. I want to minimize my time on the roof.

BTW those are asphalt shingles not slate.

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

Look up Ospho. It might be what you need and is about $ 30.00/gallon ?