Using recycled windows - question

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Using recycled windows - question

Post by lovesickest »

I don't know if you are urban or rural, but I second the out of sight/out of mind window placement with regards to potential theft. I live in an urban area where things can go missing really fast - particularly anything that can fit in a knapsack. If they can't see it, they probably won't take it.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

when you refer to 'tabs' or 'flanges' that brings to mind a modern window that is installed as a unit then nailed into place...maybe i'm misunderstanding...wouldn't be the first time.......
...jade

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

heartwood wrote:when you refer to 'tabs' or 'flanges' that brings to mind a modern window that is installed as a unit then nailed into place...maybe i'm misunderstanding...wouldn't be the first time.......
...jade

I'm guessing the confusion here is between "new" and "modern". If I understand right these windows are modern (or at least not antique) design / type but not new, i.e. they are reclaimed.
Mick...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

and i'm guessing you are correct mick!

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Mick, you are correct. I WISH I could find an old window close by and will look for one, but probably will end up with reclaimed "modern."

Phil, the window is being place on the side that faces our backyard, and we are looking to place it high enough for a work bench below. I hesitate to say this but, we have little or no theft in our area. Maybe thieves don't think we have anything of value! :lol:
Diane

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I built a sash window from a couple of reclaimed sashes a year or two back. If you dont do sash weights its no harder than building a big box really. Even with sash pockets and all the gubbins it would not take excessively skilled carpentry to build one.
Mick...