Using recycled windows - question

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Using recycled windows - question

Post by Powermuffin »

I have another question. We are building a garage at the back of our property and it is time to look for a window for it. Our resource center has dozens, but how do I know if all the parts are there? I guess I am really talking about the parts around the frame. I see the piece that you nail into; is there something else that I need to look out for?
Thanks,
Diane

lovesickest

Re: Using recycled windows - question

Post by lovesickest »

Do you mean the window + the window frame or just the window that will then need to be framed in ? I guess the complexity and function of your window will depend a little on whether it needs to open and/or any security concerns like potential for break ins for tool theft ?

We used recycled antique wood framed casement windows for the back porch. The contractor who installed them was an experienced finishing carpenter who did really good work. BUT - he was unfamiliar with this particular type of window - and we just had the windows - no frame around them - so this lead to some consternation, grumbling and head scratching on his part. He had to frame in the openings, make sills, then do the interior and exterior finishing trim. In retrospect - there are a few things I think he would have done differently the next time.

Do some research online about the type of window you are interested in (ie casement, sash, opening transom, etc.) so you will be able to know what parts should be there before you buy ? And also about installation techniques - just so you won't be scrambling to find a cinderella part midway through the installation for example ?

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

will you be undertaking the work yourself? if so, it might be a bit tricky...

opening frame: usually 2x? with a header above and jack studs below...
window frame: sill and side/top jamb
sash: fixed? casement? double hung (2 sash)?
interior and exterior trim?
will they be balanced (rope and pulley or hardware that keeps a sash open and/or locked)?
it may be helpful to bring a photo of what you have now in the garage and the person at the store is knowledgeable enough to offer guidance...

hope that helps get you started.....
...jade

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

Thanks guys. I had a feeling that this might be more complicated than my sweet husband is thinking. These windows are just the window with the tab part where you nail it into the frame and most slide to open (side to side) with locks. My husband is planning on framing the window with the header and jack studs, but since I do most of the finish carpentry, I think he is leaving the rest to me. Yikes! I have a couple of good books on hand and will see what I can find there and on line.
Diane

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

If you're just doing one window then you can spend the effort and time and find a complete vintage wood window. Google "window anatomy" and look at the images. There are tons of window pics showing all the parts. Maybe find a demolisher and ask them to cut an entire window out of a house they're taking down. Draw a rectangle around the window about 6" larger than the casing. Have them cut siding, studs, header, inside trim, sill, everything in 1 piece then you know you'll have everything. Or maybe they will let you do it.

SkipW

Post by SkipW »

If the windows you are looking at are complete sets and have the nailing flanges on them, all you would need to do is frame the rough opening needed, nail them in place, seal with I&WS or similar and then trim. Unless you have a finished garage, no need for interior trim.
Etta says "WOOF"

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

ah, so these are new windows! ice and water around the perimeter, make sure the window fits square, plumb and level in the opening then nail into place...allow 1/4" around the top and sides and keep in place with shims and nails....
good luck...
....jade

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

SkipW wrote:If the windows you are looking at are complete sets and have the nailing flanges on them, all you would need to do is frame the rough opening needed, nail them in place, seal with I&WS or similar and then trim. Unless you have a finished garage, no need for interior trim.

Skip said it - if they are complete then its pretty much the same as installing a new one, make sure its all nice and square
Mick...

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

No, not new windows. We have a resource center maintained by the county that I frequent and they have lots of used windows taken out of houses. Many are wood and that is what I am planning on getting, assuming I can find one that will fit our space.

Thanks for all the info - I appreciate the help. I will continue to research this before we undertake the job.
Diane

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

one trick I would do in a garage is just to line the sills with arborite, its easy to wipe down , last forever looks ok and it's cheap. Its not that authentic but its a garage and I would assume that you would want the garage to fit in with the main house from the exterior, but that the garage's interior could be more utilitarian.

the steel framed windows in another post would be good for security. check your building codes and there may be a minimum opening size for fire prevention and you don't want to get stuck by the inspector, if you are unfortunate enough to encounter one along the way :-) I had to help my neighbor on that after they called her on it after 3 previous city inspections, even though they were on the plans and the suite was finished and lived in. they slapped a no occupancy permit on the suite. Maybe the laws are more relaxed for garages? I don't know but you don't want to go back to re-framing the window after the fact.
In garages, windows up high can be nice beacuse they let light in but don't block shelving and they are hard for thieves to look in.