phil's stairs

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
phil
Has many leather bound books

phil's stairs

Post by phil »

"I fixed the problem with the pesky salesmen honey"
Attachments
IMG_1417.JPG
IMG_1417.JPG (250.25 KiB) Viewed 941 times

Mick_VT

Re: phil's stairs

Post by Mick_VT »

ohhh fun! Cant wait to see this come together.
Mick...

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

LOL! That'll about do it! :)

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

You're past the point of no return. That's quite a motivator.

bfarwell
Been here a while

Post by bfarwell »

Okay, all ready to start. Now I'll just go in and get my tools...

...damnit.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Phill, it would seem you got your value out of the fir underpinnings for those stairs. What are your plans for rebuild as far as ground contact? I think I would go for cement landing and raising the new wood just above the cement with some sort of non rotting riser or separator of some sort.

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

I think I see a bit of rot there. Were you using these stairs?

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

I got me one of them too! It does wonders for nosey-assed city council members.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

there are cement footings along beside and under the walls and cement pads just behind where the sidewalk ends. you cant see them they are just under the dirt in the picture But they are quite adequate and never moved yet so they are ok.

yea moneys worth, Underpinnings? I guess you mean the stringers.. Gee count them NINE stringers. they all crumbled so much I put them in garbage bags without needing any tools to cut them or break them i don't know what was holding the treads up, the reinforcing spider webs might have something to do with it;-)

They had set the bottom of two stringers in the wet cement on either side, i see the impression of two on each side. so I think those are actually the original stringers and I think they once repaired the stairs and sistered new stringers once but never removed the originals.

At this point I had no choice, the stringers were all so rotten they were really starting to scare me.

the rest is ongoing, Last summer I bought a load of full dimension 2" rough sawn fir and I cut three stringers out of full dimension 2x12 fir so they are pretty scucum planks.

The treads are going to be also 2" full dimension with a roundover and the risers are full 1 inch fir planks. I cut notches into the underside of the outer treads so the risers will fit into these notches, this holds everything together better and it should look nice too.

It was ton of work to mill all my own rough cut lumber but I wanted to use full dimension 2 inch lumber for a more robust look, not the 1 1/2" inch thick stuff they try to fool us into thinking is 2 inch ;-)

Hey they lasted 92 years, not bad for full rain in a wet environment here on the wet coast. Im leaving the original side walls, the railings I will paint red to match

I pre stained all the parts with this water based wood preservative stain by this manufacturer:
http://www.boehme.ch/
Never heard of it before so it will be a test to see how it lasts.