What is going on with this wood?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Neighmond

Re: What is going on with this wood?

Post by Neighmond »

They look right pretty!

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Touché Phil. ;)

Thanks for the reality check.

Neighmond thanks for the compliment. I am learning to appreciate the beauty of a century house.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

Was sapwood even used at all when this house was built? I'm pretty sure sapwood was fed to the fireplace back then or just tossed away. There's a reason we're all out of old growth heart wood. It's more likely they didn't understand the material when making the doors. I don't know a whole lot about wood, but that grain does look like cherry to me.

I'd be interested in knowing what the unfinished parts of the doors look like ...

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

kelletim - Sapwood, heartwood --- my head is spinning. HaHa. I know very little about wood either. I didn't dare assume these doors could be made of cherry, but if I compare to my kitchen cabinets - the grain does indeed look like it. The variations in the darkening are a spot on match.
Oh, the mysteries of old houses.

Darn, any further investigation will have to wait for my next trip down. Curiosity is getting to me now. 8-)

67drake (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by 67drake (WavyGlass) »

Sapwood is from the outer areas of the tree (close to the bark) Heartwood is the the older inner part of the tree, Heartwood USUALLY tends to be darker or redder than the sapwood.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Thanks 67drake ! I have not made the time to do any online wood study. At this point I am assuming the doors are made with a combination of sapwood & heartwood. Further investigation will tell the tale.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I'd say this board has both heartwood and sapwood. same with the board to the furthest right in the picture. The board at the top is darker wood than the boards used on the rest of the door. I don't think it detracts from anything. Furniture makers often strive to pick uniform pieces for the same piece of furniture but it is nothing to concern yourself over. wood has imperfections, color differences are just one of the imperfections. It just depends what the pile of wood looked like that they had to pick from and it might not have been economically feasible to cherry pick the load, and no one could know now what they had onhand to pick from. Nothing to worry over at all! Its a characteristic.
Attachments
animage.jpg
animage.jpg (11 KiB) Viewed 654 times

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Thank you for the information phil. Your thoughts fall with the majority vote here - these doors are full of character and beauty. I shall digress from my original reaction. :?

After all the thoughtful input and some time allotted to "wood study" hour, I now clearly understand heartwood & sapwood and why pieces of lumber end up looking like this. Admittedly, I'm beginning to really like the doors.

Still unsure of the wood species. Could be cherry or not. More up close observation as well as further wood education is in order.

I truly appreciate all the replies. There is so much knowledge among the members here, couldn't have asked my question in a better place. You guys rock !

Vala

Post by Vala »

I have a door similar to that, the lock rail is a different color than the rest.
Attachments
door.jpg
door.jpg (115.56 KiB) Viewed 642 times

67drake (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by 67drake (WavyGlass) »

I'm NOT a wood expert,but your door looks more maple than cherry to me,just based on what I can see in the pic,and my limited experience. It does not look like Oak,Pine,or Fir to me.
Next time you're at the house take a closer,clearer pic,and I'm sure somebody here can figure it out.