Transformation

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Vala

Transformation

Post by Vala »

Wow, what a difference! I was gonna wait until I got it painted to show it off, but it just looks 1000x better just now I wanted to show the difference now!

Updated July 5th with a final pic. Still have to get the crown moulding restored and to paint the eaves but I'm glad I decided to do that later as it took all my white paint just to paint the trim I did now.

before:

after:

paintjob finished

Removed vinyl shutters and most of the siding off of the 2nd story front face. Some still over the beadboard eaves and a few moulding I haven't gotten to yet.
Last edited by Vala on Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neighmond

Re: Transformation

Post by Neighmond »

It's breathing a sigh of relief!

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

I think I heard your house take a deep breath and sigh. :D

Being a old house newbie, I'm amazed at how much detail the vinyl siding was covering up. Especially around the windows - they have a frame again. Looks so much better already. Can't wait to see the end result.

Looking good Vala. You are well on your way to bringing her back to her full beauty.

BTW, I just adore that upstairs corner window and balustrade.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

Yay ! Non functional shutters begone !

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Because you removed the shutters, I just also noticed the corner window with balustrade. Now I am rethinking my shutters to place them in a way that at least looks functional.

If I may however: That trellis on the porch is very interesting with that curve arch, but it is also distracting. I went back a couple pages and saw that you intend to remove it

I think that lower window on that angled corner would really pop and match the upstairs, as well as a porch with a more grand appearance.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

LOL... Nothing says redneck flipper like cheap fake shutters. Looks much better.

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

EEEEKKKKK!!! Love, love, love!!! :D

I can't believe the difference of just removing the siding. And the shutters--what a difference in getting rid of them! Can't wait to see more pictures!

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

It look good now and is going to look so great once you're finished. I bet the neighbors think you're crazy to remove a "zero maintenance" covering.

JRC

Post by JRC »

It already looks much better, but I can't wait to see it painted!

mattswabb wrote:It look good now and is going to look so great once you're finished. I bet the neighbors think you're crazy to remove a "zero maintenance" covering.

I was thinking the same thing!

My last house was a 1915 craftsman bungalow that had been heavily remuddled. I would have loved to take all of the siding off, but there was asphalt siding under that, and the porch would have needed to be rebuilt to match the original style. (and then I'd have to worry about the vinyl windows, too) And, after spending all that money on restoration, it probably would have devalued the house in that neighborhood, since no one had any interest in the historic character of their homes, there. Although, if I knew it was going to be my "forever home" I might have done the work, anyway.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Thank you very much! I'm very excited too! Gotta replace the crown moulding that is missing. Luckily the front has almost everything, the sides have cut sill corners and the back has a few missing mouldings since the siding was done by 3 different jobs over time.