new old toaster!

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
phil
Has many leather bound books

new old toaster!

Post by phil »

thought I'd make a toast to y'all, with my funky new toaster. I went to the antique radio meeting and came home with , what a toaster lol ! I actually have a few other neat ones, I cant' help myself sometimes lol !

I love it so much Im taking the cheap plastic 4 slicer to the thrift and I'm pretty sure this thing will outlive me ! man it's so well made!

The toast comes out the bottom , Maybe it precedes the pop up ones? owner said it is from the 40's

I just had to show it off ;-) the chrome even the cord is perfect it looks almost like it lived in a cupboard all its life and got replaced by a pop up .. hard to believe no dents or scratches or anything in what maybe 65 or 70 years.. ?
Attachments
IMG_1407.JPG
IMG_1407.JPG (83.36 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Re: new old toaster!

Post by TexasRed »

Phil, I have serious toaster envy!

Wow, I have never seen a toaster that delivers through the bottom - facsinating. And the condition is remarkable!

What an awesome find. Lucky guy. I bet your toast will even taste better than from the plasticy pop up. ;)
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

British and Irish hotels and hostels usually seem to have industrial-looking toasters that deliver like this one too. They actually have a metal conveyor inside that moves the toast through. Seriously impressive! Some let you adjust the speed to prevent burning, others don't. Usually set quite dark for my taste.

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

That IS an extremely exciting toaster !

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

Cool. I'll have to keep my eye open for one.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

What would the world be like without toast?

Nice!

Phil, I have my Grandmother's waffle iron which has the same deco style look, and similar handles, complete with original cloth wire, but I believe it to be from the early 30's, still works. I also have her 30-40's Sunbeam mixer, and a couple of heavy aluminum Dutch ovens which I have as part of our kitchen display.

Items like these do make nice deco pieces for an old kitchen and a plus when you can use them.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

That is the coolest toaster that I have every seen!!!
Diane

cjd
Knows the area

Post by cjd »

A "pop down" toaster, likely the Delta model #280. Usually 1940s. Never seen one in that condition; what a great find! And I bet it works better than my modern one.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Thanks for all the nice comments, it works fine. i have another that is more of an antique, it has four legs and a flat area where you put your toast on top. it only does one side and only one piece, you have to flip it. no moving parts. it has a little shelf thing that ties the legs and that is wood or some kind of particleboard stuff. i never knew if it was
modified with the shelf thing,, seems weird to use wood. its nickle plated and crinkle paint. a picture is needed!

SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Post by SmellyHouse »

I just purchased some new toasters myself. Haven't had one in quite a while and my large convention oven doesn't get my English Muffin as 'toasty' as I like 'em.

They look like these:

Sunbeam T-1-D. Makes wonderful toast and crispy English muffins :)

Toastmaster b15...it needs oiled..not working yet:

But lordy, are they pretty.