For sale: ~6 years of my life ;)

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
rncx (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

For sale: ~6 years of my life ;)

Post by rncx (WavyGlass) »

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 3104-41925

I have moved already, not to another old house (yet), will be another couple/three years before I get motivated to take on another one. I have a stepdaughter who's in school in the burbs so I agreed with my wife to stay until her graduation and not a day longer. I will not buy one of these new suburban 'things', we're renting one.

All of the garnet shellac finished things in the pics (floors, moldings, etc) are me. The downstairs was that way already, didn't get around to it.

Short list:

• Tore drywall down covering upstairs plaster, replastered all the upstairs walls and ceilings
  • Removed/stripped (replacing as necessary) the heart pine moldings, finished with garnet shellac and waterlox
  • Built new upstairs windows to replace rotten originals from old growth cypress, finished with waterlox
  • Built new 5 panel upstairs doors and transoms, p/o's had thrown all the old ones away but one, finished with garnet shellac and waterlox
  • Removed 2 layers of upstairs carpet and refinished original heart pine floors with garnet shellac and waterlox
  • Cut out and reproduced original door frames, put thresholds in between the upstairs rooms, put the door frames back, again finishing with waterlox and garnet shellac.
  • Replaced all modern electrical hardware upstairs with new brass hardware
  • Replaced all modern air vents upstairs with custom black ones from crafthome
  • Built new cedar gates for the pool area
  • Put up new cedar wooden fence around the entire property
--Neal

Eperot
Stalwart

Re: For sale: ~6 years of my life ;)

Post by Eperot »

Wow, what a beautiful house. Doesn't it just slay you to sell it? Everyone always tells me "oh yeah and as soon as you're finished you'll want to start on a new house". Heck no, I want to enjoy this one! :D
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Tujo (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by Tujo (WavyGlass) »

That's a beautiful place. I hope you have good luck selling it. I feel your pain, after an extensive 5 year renovation on my first old house I was forced to sell because I moved to a new job. It hurts, and to be honest I've had a lot of trouble getting that excited about renovations since, though I really love the new place I just moved in to.

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

My heart is breaking for you. My house is no where near as fantastic as your after 8 years here and I would be heartbroken to leave it.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

rncx (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by rncx (WavyGlass) »

It's not so bad.

I don't stay put very well, my parents were oil/gas workers so we moved around like a military family. After a few years in a given city, I'm antsy to pick up and move to a new city anyway.

Besides, there's always a bigger/better/crazier project somewhere.

Next time I'll buy a derelict victorian and justify my itch for CNC machines in the shop ;).
--Neal

historicalwork
Been here a good while

Post by historicalwork »

MXS - if you don't mind me asking and if you haven't posted this info before, can you briefly elaborate on what you did for your floors? The house and floors look really nice. I'm curious about your previous finish, how you sanded, coats of shellac, etc. Thank you.