Anyone used Phantom Screens?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Bungalove
Knows the back streets

Anyone used Phantom Screens?

Post by Bungalove »

We need a screen for our front door. Since we spent big bucks on a really nice Craftsman wood front door last year, I don't want to cover it up with a whole 'nuther door. So I'm thinking of a retractable screen, one that disappears into its housing that would blend in with the painted door frame.

Has anyone used Phantom Screens, and are they really worth two or three times the cost of other retractable screens (RSs)? All the other RSs I've seen are so cheap-looking and ugly.

We haven't had a screen on either the front or back doors since we bought this place almost a year ago and I know it would really help with passive heating and cooling, especially cooling the house off on summer mornings. Thanks!

nlswitz
Been here a while

Re: Anyone used Phantom Screens?

Post by nlswitz »

We have a retractable screen but unfortunately I don't remember the brand. My only caution is to get a "soft close" screen. My in-laws bought a retractable screen at one of the big box stores and it flies out of your hand. Ours is soft close so that it closes gently. The screen is also flexible...which one of my chihuahuas discovered and now she thinks its her own personal doggie door. She just pokes her nose under the screen and exits.

Bungalove
Knows the back streets

Post by Bungalove »

Thanks. My understanding is that the Phantom Screen's closure tension is adjustable. Also, that we could get a lock for it. While I know no screen will deter burglars or anything like that, I want one where I can lock it and then be somewhere else in the house without worrying that someone could just wander in. (Low crime town and neighborhood)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I just keep hearing momma say "that old screen door has only got so many slams left in it " ;-) - the waltons

someone must be able to just replicate those old flat wooden screen doors?

Bungalove
Knows the back streets

Post by Bungalove »

Yes, as I mentioned, we could buy a plain screen door but we don't want to cover up our beautiful front door. The RS would disappear completely when not in use.

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

heh, is there such a thing as a pocket screen door? Possible to make ... slide it out of the way when not using.

Bungalove
Knows the back streets

Post by Bungalove »

Update: We got a Phantom Screen for the front door and love it! When it's retracted you see almost nothing, as the hardware is so thin. Really helps in cooling the house.