Roofing project...

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
kelt65
Stalwart

Re: Roofing project...

Post by kelt65 »

EngineerNextDoor wrote:Sure the metal may last 60 years, but the fasteners certainly will not. Regardless of what the roof salesman pitched, these things have a 10-15 years lifespan before significant maintenance is required.

This problem is everywhere - mismatching materials. From this to using nails that last 20 years in slate tiles that last 150 and more. I do not understand it. I was thinking about these since they seemed like the logical choice, my roof is very simple and not very large, plus, I thought, I could paint it white-ish. The roofer immediately brought up the point you just made about the fasteners.

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

Last post and then I'm on to the next great thing. They finished the job in less than thirty days! It could have been done in seven but the constant rain really threw a monkey wrench in it. We've had some incredible downpours since then and it's dry all over. I have concern about one area but the roofer put my concerns to rest because he saw it before I did. Basically, it's where a valley and a transition kind of meet. So they did a valley and then put a transition over top of it because of the change of pitch.

I've spent the weekend rebuilding the screens for the dormers. Then I'll be doing six window repairs and calling it a day up there for a while. We typically leave the dormer windows open about half the year.

The gutter installers should be done this week. We'll have to break out the sidewalks for new downspout drains so it looks like fun with concrete time later this year. Good thing I have a concrete mixer. I'll also probably address the window wells and sidewalks on the west side of the house at that time. I'll probably also bury electric, gas, and water for an outdoor kitchen.

Would I recommend what I did for everyone? Nope. On certain houses it would be just unthinkable. And I've pretty much confirmed once again my theory that what you're buying into is a contractor more than a product. Whether it's roofing, plumbing, painting, or lawn mowing, you have to have the right people on the job or it won't matter what materials you choose.

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

Jeepnstein wrote:Last post and then I'm on to the next great thing. They finished the job in less than thirty days! It could have been done in seven but the constant rain really threw a monkey wrench in it. We've had some incredible downpours since then and it's dry all over. I have concern about one area but the roofer put my concerns to rest because he saw it before I did. Basically, it's where a valley and a transition kind of meet. So they did a valley and then put a transition over top of it because of the change of pitch.

I've spent the weekend rebuilding the screens for the dormers. Then I'll be doing six window repairs and calling it a day up there for a while. We typically leave the dormer windows open about half the year.

The gutter installers should be done this week. We'll have to break out the sidewalks for new downspout drains so it looks like fun with concrete time later this year. Good thing I have a concrete mixer. I'll also probably address the window wells and sidewalks on the west side of the house at that time. I'll probably also bury electric, gas, and water for an outdoor kitchen.

Would I recommend what I did for everyone? Nope. On certain houses it would be just unthinkable. And I've pretty much confirmed once again my theory that what you're buying into is a contractor more than a product. Whether it's roofing, plumbing, painting, or lawn mowing, you have to have the right people on the job or it won't matter what materials you choose.

That roof looks fantastic. Far better than most metal roofs, and I was pleased to find out it is possible to not use the plastic screws. It has a similar visual presentation of a terra cotta roof, somehow.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

how are you finding the rain noise on the tin? my brother has a house with low slope, it had two roofs and took one off so he needs to redo it, It has I think 2 inch wood, then corrugated tin then it had another roof with shingles, but shingles arent good because it doesn't have enough slope. He was considering a tin standing seam roof, but cost is a concern. probably cheapest is strapping plywood and torch on.

Don M

Post by Don M »

I have standing seam over the original cedar shakes & it is loud in the attic during rain storms but I hear nothing on the second floor (nice lath & plaster ceilings). ;)

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

We're on day 3 of our new red standing seam metal roof! Monday was the tear-off, which took 12 hours. They were expecting it to take 4. It's supposed to be a 10 working day job, but after the tear off we found rotten wood around some of the windows (it's a gambrel roof), so they're giving us a quote to replace it before roofing around them.

We actually had the same roofing system put on the original part of our house 8 years ago, but the addition roof was in better shape and we couldn't justify the expense of doing it all at once when the other roof had life left in it. It's a Fabrall system, which comes with a 30 year warranty on the paint color. Everyone told us that despite the warranty, red would fade, and we were kicking ourselves 8 years later when we were sure the two roofs wouldn't match. Lo and behold, the new material matches the old perfectly! No fade on the color in 8 years!

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

The roof is quieter than the original standing seam we had on the front and back porch roofs. Since it's on top of a layer of roofers felt and new sheeting it's a pretty substantial surface. The sheeting was essential to getting a nice smooth surface for the metal.

And here's a story about roofers you'll never hear. Last night while I was at the dojo my roofer calls. He was sitting outside my house looking the job over again and he decided he wasn't happy with a detail that his guys didn't really do right. So he's going to come back in a few weeks and re-do that part. First time I ever heard of a roofer actually following through on anything short of an arrest warrant. Guess who I'm going to be recommending locally for a LONG time.

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

Quick follow up...

Attic temperatures have stayed consistently less than ten degrees above the outside temperature during the daytime. That is a huge improvement over the shingle roof. I hope it pays some dividend on my energy consumption because air conditioning is getting extremely expensive.

Word is I'll have gutters tomorrow if it doesn't rain. We'll see about that. I've got a football game to attend so I really don't care that much one way or the other.