Continually icy front walk

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Continually icy front walk

Post by SmellyHouse »

Hi all....

I have a really dumb question. If you remember, the Smelly house's front yard is about 18 inches below street grade...and I have to walk down 2 steps from the street to my front walk, then up 3 stairs onto the porch.

Because of snowpalooza, my SW facing front door, and my below grade sidewalk, this year my sidewalk is always wet....which is no big deal during the day. But at night or first thing in the morning, it's black ice mayhem (about 1/16 an inch thick). It's not really scrapable. The walkway ice melts, more snow melts making my walkway wet, then it freezes...every night. I hate to use salt (or a similar compound) as I'd run through a bag every 3rd day and I'd probably tear up my concrete.

I have seriously considered buying rubber tractor/restaurant kitchen mats and putting them on the walkway. But I hate to spend this money as the freeze/thaw cycle will likely only be occurring for a few more weeks, until the night lows climb a bit. Any ideas?

Thomolli
Settling in

Re: Continually icy front walk

Post by Thomolli »

Maybe try a little sand? When the bad weather is over whatever is left can be swept off into the grass.

DavidP
Been here a while

Post by DavidP »

Sand was my first thought also. You would probably need less of that than you would of a de-icer, since you're not trying to melt all the ice, just sprinkle enough to provide traction. Totally natural, won't hurt the concrete. I also seem to recall reading that some people use kitty litter on ice. I have no experience with that, though.

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Sand is good. I also use bird seed, which makes the birds happy. After a couple of hours, the seed embeds itself in the surface of the ice providing traction.

Chris

Don M

Post by Don M »

If you did buy the rubber mats you can store them to reuse in future years; it doesn't sound like you are going to be able to change your grade. There is also a product called "Barn Grit" from Tractor Supply which is also bio-degradable (I think) & won't damage your concrete.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

bird seeds ? what a neat idea does it work? the thing i hate about sand and the ice melt is it comes in on everyone's shoes and scratches the floor. maybe even sawdust would work? I am not a super clean house stickler but I hat that sharp sand that comes with the ice melt and the lady next door says the chemical is bad for her dogs paws. Spring will break soon, it sure came early out here.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

sand is good yaktrax are better
Mick...

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Post by CS in Low Hud »

The bird seed does work - but not as well as sand, cat litter or ice melt. It doesn't track as readily into the house, though, and doesn't endanger the dog (who's a champ at discovering brilliant and surprising new ways to injure himself).

Chris

SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Post by SmellyHouse »

Mick, I'd hate to wear yaktrax for all of 10 steps across my front walk...but I do need some for the park in back of my house.

Great ideas for the sand and birdseed everyone, thank you.

Of course, it's a moot point now since it's been so warm here in Boston this week...the snow has receded enough not to be running across my walk. Here's hoping I won't need them 'til next winter!

Don M

Post by Don M »

Warm air & more rain this weekend will further melt the remaining snow. As it goes I realize what a mess of mud & gravel I have to clean up. :evil: