Cool tool for sash mortices

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Mick_VT

Cool tool for sash mortices

Post by Mick_VT »

Stumbled across this on ebay, never seen one before and thought it was cool - maybe they are common and it is just me - but in case they aren't I thought I would share. It seemed in line with the interests of this group. A handy, dandy tool for drilling the mortices for the sash weight pulleys.

It is item #141577737958 on ebay if you want to go look. Disclaimer: I am not the seller, nor do I know them. I just saw this when when browsing old mortising tools.
Attachments
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG (49.73 KiB) Viewed 628 times
Mick...

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Re: Cool tool for sash mortices

Post by Casey »

I do believe that is the gang drill for a particular kind of patent window (counterweight) pulley. I have seen the adverts for the pulleys, but never the tool to drill for them Very cool.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

if it was a five bit tool, the pulley might look like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SCALLOP ... 72696793ol

I think others who used this type of tool may have also used a chisel to square up the sides...the first folks who saw this ingenious invention must have thought "why didn't I think of that?"...

thanks for sharing...
...jade

rncx (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by rncx (WavyGlass) »

You will probably need more than a hand drill to drive that thing, at least a floor standing drill press.

Fortunately (unfortunately? depending on where you're from ;)), routers and plywood jigs have made those sorts of things obsolete.
--Neal