Redoing the half bath

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Redoing the half bath- looking for advice

Post by mattswabb »

My faucets were delivered from the plating shop today. Here's a before and after shot of them.

They were done at http://acmeplating.com
$103 for the pair plus $10 for the overflow grate. I'm very happy with them.

Neighmond

Re: Redoing the half bath

Post by Neighmond »

pretty!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Matt, those taps came out great. Good for another 100 years of service. And great value at $103.

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by JRC »

They look fantastic! And, at $113, they are a much better value than anything you could buy new. (especially since they look brand new)

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

Wow!!!
Diane

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

bathroom jewelery !

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

The taps look brand new - beautiful !

Where are you now with a cost analysis - starting from the point where you were at when you first posted ? Personally I think that selectively sourcing salvage and doing things like repair/re-plating definitely yields a better return than purchasing brand new reproduction parts. On one hand you had to purchase that wonderful toilet WITH the sink - though you can sell the sink - but you had to drive several hours to pick it up = higher cost in time. But the toilet is exceptional = much better aesthetic return.

Sometimes I think I am crazy for spending hours searching for the free or cheap thing that is correct v.s. just spending money on the new thing. Where are you at with this, now ?

(p.s. The corner cabinet is also perfect - and free from your garage !)

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

We are able to many of these projects because we research ahead of time and spend a lot of time looking for deals. I bought my siding at a discount but spent a day driving to Michigan. I buy most of my tools off Craigslist. We do a lot of buying off eBay.

The toilet was pricey for me but way cheaper than if we bought a restored or replica. I've bought all the new pieces for the toilet. The connector pipe in nickel with a nickel nut and escution was $70. Add another $50 for a new fill and flush valve. The toilet will be all new inside. We bought it for $350 with the sink plus $50 in gas, add in the new guts, sell off the sink and I hope to be into it for $350 or so.

Replacement faucets would have run us $200 or more. Refinishing was $103 and an additional $5 for seals. And I have the ones that came with the house.

Here's the corner cabinet minus paint. I ran out of fine paper so I'll finish tomorrow. Then paint and stain.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Pretty wood!

Don M

Post by Don M »

Wonderful cabinet! :)