It's time to work on the buffet and I have a question

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
nlswitz
Been here a while

Re: It's time to work on the buffet and I have a question

Post by nlswitz »

Don M wrote:Wow, all that new wood work looks super!

:D ...except for the task of staining and finishing that's coming up...but it looks so nice and complete.

nlswitz
Been here a while

Post by nlswitz »

[quote="phil"]I have been stripping and or replacing a lot of the fir trim in my house because some nut painted it all white at some point. baseboards in the attic never existed so I bought nice edge grain grade A fir for those, but it is 3/4 not one inch. hard to get one inch I thought. Some of the other baseboards were missing and I bought reclaimed and had to strip them. I still have lots to do as well. windows and trim in the living room. Sometimes I think it is actually so much easier to just buy new wood and mill it to size rather than stripping, the end result isn't much different. Now I am doing my outside front stairs from some full 2 inch rough sawn lumber. It took many hours to joint, trim, surface pane, sand, do the roundover, it is coming but it is certainly a lot of work. labor of love but I couldn't afford to buy what I can do on my own if I discipline myself to keep going without neglecting the fun stuff I want to do and it is a balance. In seeing the work you have done I can appreciate the amount of work it is and can admire how good it is looking as well. You can always make some of it darker to match , the staining is the easy part. I love the craftsman detail of those pillars. No matter how much work it is , the time is soon forgotten but the results are there forever as long as some nut with a paintbrush doesn't own it next ;-)

All your skill is awesome. I now feel pretty competent at refinishing wood. Part of me wishes I could have done the trim myself. Yet I'm very happy to have been able give some work to a skilled craftsman who happens to be a neighbor.

By my estimates I still have about 6 full days of stripping before I can move on to sanding. I did however get some of the sanding done in preparation for the new wood.

We are going to do an addition to our house...actually tear down a 70s era enclosed patio. I had been hoping to get my project done before the new one starts, but the demolition for the addition begins on Wednesday. YIKES!

nlswitz
Been here a while

Post by nlswitz »

I finished my wood refinishing project a couple months ago, coincidentally at the same time our addition was completed. The cabinet doors all work beautifully. The only thing I might do in the future is add some lighting. But for now I'm enjoying the fact that I completed my 21 month long wood refinishing project. Here are some photos of the refinished buffet.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (144.4 KiB) Viewed 686 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (163.13 KiB) Viewed 686 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (143.41 KiB) Viewed 686 times

Lower Brambly
Knows the back streets

Post by Lower Brambly »

It took awhile to realize the pictures are upside down, then after the orientation was adjusted in my head, it looks lovely. I am sure you will enjoy it for many years to come and appreciate your time and effort.

nlswitz
Been here a while

Post by nlswitz »

That's weird that they are upside down. I must be having some issues with my iPad as they are right side up for me now but we're upside down in my photo editor.

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

Wow that came out nice.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Really nice work and soooooo worth the time! I would love to have something like that in my modest cottage.
Diane

matchbookhouse
Been here a while

Post by matchbookhouse »

That's just beautiful!