Strangely-absent window side-weights?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Carmify (WavyGlass)
Knows the area

Strangely-absent window side-weights?

Post by Carmify (WavyGlass) »

I'm starting window rehab work on a side porch, since a contractor will be digging in there to deal with an old mold issue anyway. Plus, there's this:

So I figure it's a good place to get started inside the house. (Up until now, I've been "practicing" my window skills on the garage & crawl space windows.) :D
The windows on this porch are configured like this: Narrow-Wide-Narrow

BUT, there's no sign of a pulley or chain on any of the narrow windows. They slide up and down freely but they're quite heavy-- If there are even side pockets or weights hidden there, they clearly are not attached now.

Here's the typical set-up everywhere else in the house, including the wide porch windows

All the other windows in the house are outfitted with metal weatherstripping, and throughout this 1920's house there are signs that the builder spared no expense. So my questions are
1) why would only these 6 narrow windows be installed with no weights? They are heavy enough to slam down and break the glass, or break a kid's finger.
2) what is most appropriate for this issue-- a sash bolt, a sash stay, a tension spring-- and which is most fool-proof for a beginner to install? http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/window-stop
Carm--my Renovation Diary at carmify.tumblr.com

heartwood

Re: Strangely-absent window side-weights?

Post by heartwood »

it's a mystery as to why there is no balance system on the narrow flanking windows...it's possible that the weights for the center window also managed the flanking windows...the flank windows may have had stop hardware at some point that could have been removed and the voids filled...once you take the sash out, look to see if there is a plough and bore (groove and hole) where the rope/chain would have been installed...

the 'banjo' locks at house of antique hardware are not quality made...i purchased 20 a few years back and none worked well...the spring bolt can be used if you have one light or two light sash and there is enough room to hold a drill plumb and level and drill into the stile from the inside towards the outside (without the glass in place)...if you attempt to drill from the outside of the still through the profiled inside, chances are you will have wood blow out...the EASIEST method would be to install one (two may make the sash too tight) of the these: http://www.amazon.com/Wright-Products-H ... 00CSN3QS/2 there are two holes drilled through the metal that cause 'burrs' on the back side...these burrs help hole the tension spring in place...

sorry, i am unable to see your photos (dial-up)...
hope that helps...
....jade

Lower Brambly
Knows the back streets

Post by Lower Brambly »

Perhaps the windows in the porch were installed at a later time to enclose what had originally been an open porch. Perhaps the person paying for the enclosure of the porch was more cost conscious. Do these porch windows match the rest of the house? If they were a later installation perhaps there was some other method of counterbalance that failed and was removed???? :?

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

There may not have been room in the pockets next to that big centre sash. I almost wonder if tape balances or something like that weren't used.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

just a random thought - are you sure the top sashes arent on weights instead (but painted shut?)
Mick...

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

You can start by drilling a small hole where the pulleys would go and pushing a rigid wire through the hole to see if there is enough room for weights to be installed. If not, you can go with Pullman Reels. http://www.pullmanmfg.com/typer.html

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

There is no room for them in the mullion area. If you wanted balances, they would have to be the spiral spring type that mounts in a groove routed in the sash edge, or the tape balances designed to mount in the head of the jambs.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Carmify (WavyGlass)
Knows the area

Thanks for the input. The windows and casings are all the same style as the rest of the house, only without weather-stripping or a balance system. I removed the sash and here's what I see:

For Jade :) , The pic shows a factory-drilled empty hole in the side sash, so I have a bore but no plow. So it appears these sash weren't ever balanced. I am definitely going to try the tension spring. If I'm not satisfied with that, I will need to try that Pullman Reel. This is the first time I'm hearing of this thing. What's the downside? There has to be a negative! Any idea if it's better or worse for a seaside environment (what I have)?

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Carmify - are you 100% sure the tops did not used to move? I have seen this once before in England - tops with sash cords and loose sashes on the bottom, on the side windows, bottom with sash cords and fixed top on middle. I thint it was designed to allows a smaller mullion between the side lights and the main light. Just wondering if that is the case with yours.
Mick...

Carmify (WavyGlass)
Knows the area

I actually haven't tried to budge those top sash at all--they're painted shut and that paint is in decent shape.
The workmen are in there right now and they have removed a bunch of window casing (to get to some rot in the wall) but I can't see inside where weight pockets would be, because that casing is intact.
I'm less concerned about the top sash, whether they're fixed or were once on a balance system, because top sash don't tend to slam down. It would be easy enough for me to fix them in place if need be, but I want the bottom sash to be functional.
Incidentally, I rescued those casings and carted them out to the garage workshop. The paint layers chipped like crazy when they were getting pulled down, so I'm scraping them down to bare wood. That way, when they get reinstalled I should be able to prime and paint and they won't stand out. That's the plan anyway. ha