Larson Storm Windows

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
arwenmark
Knows the back streets

Larson Storm Windows

Post by arwenmark »

I know a few of you have put in Larson storm windows, and I was wondering if those who have had them for a while can tell me how they are doing for you? Also if you could say which series you have, Bronze, Silver or Gold sseries.

I am planning to get them for my WV house but it has 42 windows and I want to be sure before I get them, also I am leaning toward the Silver series because I like the look better, but they claim the Gold are 4 times as strong and can even be used as a three season window in a sun room. they claim the difference in price between silver and gold is about the price of a pizza!

arwenmark
Knows the back streets

Re: Larson Storm Windows

Post by arwenmark »

hm, maybe I am wrong, I could have sworn there were some people on here that had installed Larson storm windows.

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by JRC »

I was hoping you'd get some replies, too.

I have ancient aluminum triple-track storm windows right now. I plan to replace them someday with something that looks better. On the front, I may go with wood frame storms, or high-end storms. But on the sides and back, I'd probably go with something like Larson, unless there's a good reason not to.

Double-Wythe (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by Double-Wythe (WavyGlass) »

I installed four Larson Gold series storm windows last fall on my west facing upstairs bedrooms and have a few observations. Our local retailer does not stock the gold series so I ordered four to see them in person and try them out before biting off for the rest of the house. I was initially a little disappointed by how wide the frames are. I’m guessing that this may be why you like the look of the silvers better. The glass on the gold series storms ended up being about a half inch narrower than the old bare aluminum Larson storms they replaced so they are a little more noticeable from the inside. Other than that I have no complaints. Comfort wise they are a significant improvement over the ones they replaced. It routinely gets below zero here and I have noticed much less cold air intrusion in the bedrooms with the new gold storms. Our storms in the main level are either silvers or bronze (they were here when we moved in) and only have the catch on the top and bottom of the sash. In a strong storm the sash will rattle and bow and at times they have bowed to the point that rain gets through the weather-stripping on the sides. Our windows are more than 5 feet tall so the bowing may not be a concern of you have shorter windows. The gold series sashes ride in a track with weather-stripping on each side of the sash so they have been much tighter. I like the ratchet mechanism on the golds a little better. They are curved to fit your finger and are a little easier to open and close. They also have a few more height settings. I definitely prefer the look of wood storms but I’ll be replacing the other nine upstairs storms with golds this fall. I like to be able to keep the rain off the inside sashes and window frames in the summer and have plenty of paint and windows to keep me busy without the storms.

arwenmark
Knows the back streets

Post by arwenmark »

Thanks so much that was a good review.
Anyone else?
I will probably go back and forth between silver and gold right up to when I order them.

arwenmark
Knows the back streets

Post by arwenmark »

just an update to this old thread, Today I ordered my first set of 8 windows, and I went with ProVia instead of Larson. Go figure, but I wanted real three track so I could have the screen either up or down.
I went with their Sandstone color, which means when I order first story windows I could still get larson gold series in Sandstone.
I am buying the ProVia sight unseen, so I am hopeful they will be as good a places say they are.

matchbookhouse
Been here a while

Post by matchbookhouse »

If the ProVia storm windows are as good as their storm doors, you should be very pleased. I got two this past year to replace two Larsons that had been installed since 2003, and they were much heavier. They also closed with more force and insulated better as well.