Seeking help with old verge boards

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Mick_VT

Seeking help with old verge boards

Post by Mick_VT »

Hi all,
I'm wondering if you guys can help end a many year long quest. My c1865 Vermont house used to have some rather ornate verge boards / bargeboards on the ends. They were removed some time around 1960 and no trace remains. Via the town's historical society I obtained a 1912 picture which shows them in good enough detail to get a strong idea what the pattern is but not clear enough that I can actually replicate it. I have attached a fragment of the picture so hopefully you can see what I mean. They seem quite intricate, my best guess is it is a grape leaf and vine kind of a pattern, but I cannot make it out exactly.

My assumption is that these were mill made - the house was built a decade or so after the railroad came through, and houses in town built after that time share a lot of mill made features (e.g. the same doors appear everywhere, and some houses share the same gingerbread features)

So here is my request - if this really is mill made trim, then there is a slim chance that my house was not the only one in the world to receive this pattern, and furthermore, there is a slim chance that it still exists on some house out there somewhere. A house that I might actually get a clear picture of the design from.

Can any of you help? Do you recognize the design? Have you seen it anywhere? Any chance you might be able to provide the picture that will let me remake this trim and return my house to its 19th century glory?

Hoping very much that you can!

Mick :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMGP171.jpg
IMGP171.jpg (244.33 KiB) Viewed 377 times
Mick...

Don M

Re: Seeking help with old verge boards

Post by Don M »

Interesting pattern; unfortunately I can't see it clearly enough to identify it.