A bittersweet post for me

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
christiner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

A bittersweet post for me

Post by christiner (WavyGlass) »

An offer we made on a house was accepted yesterday.

It's a nice house, but it was built in 2000 :( Like most newer homes it has a bit of a style identity crisis and many of the aesthetic proportions are off. I'm glad we won't be renting anymore but I really had my heart set on an older home. My husband does not share my old house love, nor is he handy, so perhaps it is for the best to avoid conflict.

Keep up your good work and share pictures here so I can live vicariously through you all!

Don M

Re: A bittersweet post for me

Post by Don M »

You can provide pictures of your new place; just because it doesn't have "Wavy Glass" doesn't mean we will shun you! We have a 1999 vintage ranch in SC & it has plenty of issues!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

If it isn't an old house and you like old houses , I am sure some old house parts are going to creep in there one way or another , hope you keep participating in the forum!
Phil

Dan
Settling in

Post by Dan »

You know a lot of the homes 100+ years ago had "style identity crisises". Mine was a late Queen Anne cottage with a couple of Mission/Craftsman doors, which were the new and hip style then, plus other eclecticisms like the Colonial Revival lighting.

I think we're happier when we embrace what is rather than wish for something else. In 100 years, if your house survives that long, people might fawn over the mish-mashing of styles. There are things in your house that represent styles that don't even have names yet. Will someone be cursing you 90 years from now for tearing out that kitchen? If it were me, I would stick to the original and take care of it for the next owner, just in case they decide to do the same and someone down the line ends up with a jewel from the turn of the century. 8-)