Heads Up for Interior Storm Windows

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Clarkbug
Settling in

Heads Up for Interior Storm Windows

Post by Clarkbug »

Hello All!

Now with the cold weather setting in, and me of course being behind on getting my windows weatherstripped, Im again looking at the idea of making interior storm panels.

All the sites I have found with instructions talk about buying a roll of the stretch film from an art supply or packing house, but its a lot of $, and its also something like 3500' long. A little too much extra for my taste (and budget)

I just wanted to post a link to some that I found on eBay that seemed like it might be just the ticket.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-75ga-Centerf ... 3381adb88d

Im not the seller, and dont have any sort of interest one way or another (MODS: If I'm against the rules here, apologies!) I just wanted to share a deal in case someone was thinking of making some of these during the upcoming heating season.

lisascenic
Stalwart

Re: Heads Up for Interior Storm Windows

Post by lisascenic »

When we lived in colder climates, we used a heat-shrink film from the hardware store. I think the real secret was the tape that came in those kits.

pqtex
Been here a while

Post by pqtex »

I saw a tip somewhere about using bubble wrap!

Clarkbug
Settling in

Post by Clarkbug »

lisascenic, this is just a cheaper version of the shrink wrap that comes on a roll, rather than in a box. Good for doing lots of windows.

Pqtex, the bubble wrap is good to add some insulation to existing glass panes, since the bubbles add a little bit of a barrier between indoors and outside. But it wont stop the air leakage, which is where most of the heat loss comes from.

cadrad
Knows the back streets

Post by cadrad »

Has anyone tried that clear peelable caulk arond the inside of the sashes? I think I might give it a shot...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

i heard the peelable stuff has a vanilla sent as the real smell is so toxic...what about good old mortite?
...jade

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

I've used the peelable stuff and it does have an odor till it cures. So do it and leave the house for a few hours. It worked and I'll probably get a couple tubes for this season. In the spring I used my small needle nose pliers and it pulled right off.

christiner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by christiner (WavyGlass) »

I saw one where people used the hardware store shrinkwrap stuff on a homemade wood frame and then put pipe insulation foam on the edges to seal it into place.

Don M

Post by Don M »

There use to be a plexiglass product called "Insiders" available at hardware stores. The plexiglass came in large, thin (1/8") sheets with frames that attached to the window frame with self sticking tape. Once they were made up (there was a base piece with a rubber seal for the window sill) they snapped into place & could be unsnapped & removed in the spring. They really worked very well. I used them in most of the windows in our Ft. Collins tract home in the late '70s.

shakerjaebs (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by shakerjaebs (WavyGlass) »

We moved into our 1925 home last year and were so excited to find a full set of interior storm windows for the second and third floors. They are plexiglass with magnetic strips around the edges. All of the windows had been fitted with discreet metal frames. Seems like it would have been a lot of work! But we love them. Our upper floors were so warm last year - almost too warm - we never even used our down comforters.

A couple of them are scratched and we plan to have new ones made soon. Good luck!