New Windows ?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Faust (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Re: New Windows ?

Post by Faust (WavyGlass) »

Marvin makes new 6 over 9. So called "true divided light" which means they are vinyl clad on the outside, unfinished wood on the inside. Not sure of the new price. I bought mine for $40.00 at an auction, that is fairly high for auction windows. Anyway, real nice quality stuff. I haven't installed them yet, so if you need a picture let me know.

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Last week was spent ripping out two new tech windows for a customer who has a 1912 home. The windows had failed in 9 years. They were replaced with original salvage windows that were reconditioned to like new and weatherstripped. I must say that I took great pleasure in hauling the two new and failed windows out to the curb. :)

Faust (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Sashguy wrote:Last week was spent ripping out two new tech windows for a customer who has a 1912 home. The windows had failed in 9 years. They were replaced with original salvage windows that were reconditioned to like new and weatherstripped. I must say that I took great pleasure in hauling the two new and failed windows out to the curb. :)

Somewhere on the net is an article from the Univ. of Maine comparing new tech windows with reconditioned windows (I forget if there are storm windows). What they found was that the "new tech" windows resulted in a 10% fuel savings over reconditioning the windows. That isnot 10% per window, that is overall heating cost.

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Surely my opinion is limited to calls received regarding failures. I am quite sure that the vast majority are doing fine. The ones that I do see are pretty messed up. But regardless of the cause, or overall condition, I can only inform the customer that their only recourse is call a dealer and purchase another window.

Faust (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Sashguy wrote:But regardless of the cause, or overall condition, I can only inform the customer that their only recourse is call a dealer and purchase another window.

Haven't had any experience with it, but at least one glazier around here is avertising replacement of thermopane glass. I understand about $95 per pane.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Faust wrote:
Sashguy wrote:But regardless of the cause, or overall condition, I can only inform the customer that their only recourse is call a dealer and purchase another window.

Haven't had any experience with it, but at least one glazier around here is avertising replacement of thermopane glass. I understand about $95 per pane.

Yeah, that stuff isn't cheap!
My uncle was converted to an old-window lover when he saw the price tag for replacement of a broken thermopane sheet!

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

I do replace the odd IGU when the majority of the windows are original. The IGU's aren't terribly expensive, two recent purchases; 28" x 28" at $45.42, 28" x 30" at $50.00. In both cases, the two panes of glass were offset, which required shaving the rabbit to get it in.

The failures to the IGU's that I encounter are typically separation, which I attribute to pier and beam movement, extreme heat and uneven heat.

Frame failures are typically due to improper exterior sealing/painting (in the case of wood) and warping/cracking (in the case of vinyl).

Faust (WavyGlass)
Settling in

IGU ?

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Insulated Glass Unit

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

newly manufactured windows are constructed with finger jointed wood that is glued together...components are attached with glue and staples...glue will fail and staples will pull out...they have little springy balance hardware that will not stand the test of time and will not be available in 20 years...the clad vinyl will fade and mold and require constant cleaning and/or painting...the aluminum will also fade over the years...read the fine print that follows '20 year warranty'...glass is warranteed for 10 years--they supply the glass, you supply the labor...i think it was sash guy who shared a photo of a rotting sill that was less that 10 years old...do a search under 'class action suits, anderson/marvin/pella, etc....draft issues in old windows is typically found at the perimeter of the sash where small gaps allow air to infiltrate....double paned glass does not remedy that situation...install weather stripping for the drafts and a good storm to offer further protection against drafts and a few inches of insulating space between storm and primary window...

all around--enviromental safety, landfill issues, product quality concerns--restoration of old wood windows is your best bet....typically when folks complain about their old windows, they haven't been maintained for many decades, poor babies, i've seen my share of 'em....

windows, a bit of a sensitive topic....i live in a newer house with vinyl clad windows! all 28 have had IGU issues and are streaked on the inside...drive by my house and see the 'FOR SALE' sign...looking for an old house with old windows....i know someone who can restore them!

...jade