Painting old window sash - Linseed Oil paint?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Haldeman1773 (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Painting old window sash - Linseed Oil paint?

Post by Haldeman1773 (WavyGlass) »

So, getting ready to paint some exterior sash in the next week or two, and wondering what to use. The sash have been painted in a host of different coatings, the latest two being alkyd and acrylic enamel. Most, if not all of them, will be stripped prior to any repainting.

I need to read up more on Blopentine, why and how to use it, etc. That aside, what final coatings should I consider? I have been looking into some of the Linseed Oil paints (seemingly only sold in the UK?!?), as they claim to have a much longer life between recoats, than alkyd or enamel. But, I haven't seen any third-party information to substantiate the claims of those who sell the Linseed Oil paints.

Another strong option might be topside paint for boats, with which I have some experience. This stuff is designed to hold up to weather and UV better than anything you will buy from S. Williams or Ben Moore, although it's a bit nasty to work with, requiring some fierce solvents for clean-up, etc. I just don't know how well the stuff sticks to 240 year old sash over the years, with wood that's less than... new.

In my mind, the cost of the paint is absolutely irrelevant / the sky is the limit, as the time and cost saved with a longer life will outweigh any possible material cost.

Thanks!

csnyder (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Re: Painting old window sash - Linseed Oil paint?

Post by csnyder (WavyGlass) »

Haldeman1773 wrote:In my mind, the cost of the paint is absolutely irrelevant / the sky is the limit, as the time and cost saved with a longer life will outweigh any possible material cost.

I fully agree with you here - labor (either your own time or someone else's) is by far the most expensive part of this job.

I'm eager to follow along as you investigate your options - thanks for keeping us updated!
1916 Craftsman
Image Image

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

did you see the thread where i posted the names of three companies--one in scotland, one in canada and one in massachusetts...there's another in vermont http://www.finepaintsofeurope.com/ i've used thier oil paint and was very happy with it--over $100 per gallon and it a 4 coat method is recommended...a few years ago, i let the salesman talk me into using their new 'eco' paint that is a water/oil emulsion as he said it was designed specifically for use on doors and windows...it did not stick to glass!!!! had a very disappointing interaction with the owner and salesman who did not want to discuss the failure...for that reason, i have chosen not to use their products...i would if a client specified fpe...

there is a distributor for allback's (sweden) linseed oil paint in new york: http://www.solventfreepaint.com/cleaned_linseed_oil.htm i hear that there's a learning curve involved as it goes on differently than domestic paints...the guy in ny is a real salesman...many problems with mold...check out this website for discussions http://www.historichomeworks.com/forums...

we typically use ben moore super spec for exterior and impervo for interior, both oil...
i've posted here and over at old house web a number of times as to the application and benefits of blopentine...

feel free to call if you have questions.....send a pm and i'll respond with my number...

...jade
Last edited by heartwood on Wed May 15, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Window work is 95% prep, the painting is a very small factor. FPE is beautiful stuff; in a gloss finish there is none finer.
Once you remove all the paint from sash and jambs, sand and prime, even if the oil topcoat only lasts 10 years before it starts to chalk, the second paint job is only a paint job, a few minutes work vs. a few days for the restoration. That's where I'm at. I finished my last window a few years back, painted with a small-label gloss oil house paint, and last year I had to re-coat one of the first batch finished in '96 or '97. I got 14+ years on a west-facing window, and I'm satisfied with that performance. The repaint was done in a day; took the window sash out anyway so I could paint all the way to the edges, and let it dry before re-hanging them.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Haldeman1773 (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

heartwood wrote:did you see the thread where i posted the names of three companies--one in scotland, one in canada and one in massachusetts...there's another in vermont

Yes, thank you! I need to find some time to read through all of these sites, and ask some questions. Crazy busy right now, in the middle of too many projects!

Decided to hire out the sash restoration, so I could focus on the frames. The sash guy said he uses Ben Moore Super Spec, much like yourself. He also agreed these sash appear to be 1770's.

Sombreuil wrote:FPE is beautiful stuff; in a gloss finish there is none finer.

Will need to check this out, although if I'm not doing the sash painting...

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Linseed oil paints are known to last pretty much forever, even outside, but not without maintenance. All (modern) instructions state that you should wipe down the surface with BLO every 5 years or so. Inside they yellow but otherwise last forever. I think our neighbour had the original 1914/15 paint on the inside of her windows for over 90 years.

Haldeman1773 (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Texas_Ranger wrote:I think our neighbour had the original 1914/15 paint on the inside of her windows for over 90 years.

Dayum! :o