Need advice on foundation erosion quick patch solution

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
cliff (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Need advice on foundation erosion quick patch solution

Post by cliff (WavyGlass) »

Hi, I've got some erosion happening under the foundation at the backside of my house. My plan for the future is to build a retaining wall around the area as it's driveway side and make it a spot for plantings but that's not in my budget in the moment and am looking at quick patch jobs I can do myself in the interim to prevent further damage. All I can think of is just mixing up some concrete and throwing it in there with a two by four to face it while it dries to hold the form. Wondering what others think? I've attached at pic.
Attachments
file.jpg
file.jpg (245.4 KiB) Viewed 759 times

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Need advice on foundation erosion quick patch solution

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Hi Cliff,

Is that just brick facing that's been undermined.... or is that the actual wall? If it's the wall, that's pretty serious. "Pinning" an undermined foundation (as you describe in a non-specific way) is typically the recommended action, but an engineer should probably be consulted to tell you exactly what's required in your situation, and how it needs to be done for safety and to prevent further damage. That engineer might cost you a couple of hundred (or a bit more), but it would be money well spent. IMO.

Chris

cliff (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by cliff (WavyGlass) »

that wall faces the top right side of the driveway... years ago there used to be another retaining wall that capped off the top of the driveway to hold all that dirt back. all that's left of the wall is the end piece and not the two ends so over time the dirt has just been falling down and away from the foundation. i'm not sure really what was under there before as it was always covered by dirt. with spring now the erosion has worsened and you can see what i'm left with. what needs to be done is i have to rebuild the entire retaining wall but i don't have the funds for that at the moment and am looking for a quick and dirty patch job.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Cliff, CS is correct, long term might just need a professional. In the short term you might get away with digging down a bit in that area and form a footing into some stable dirt. Then build up from there with brick and morter to take the loading. The key as I see it is finding some stable dirt to build the footing on. Won't do you any good if the footing washes away or gets undermined by the erosion. Looks like it has been a problem in the past judging by the poor brick work.