old timber window frame in stone wall

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Haldeman1773 (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Re: old timber window frame in stone wall

Post by Haldeman1773 (WavyGlass) »

Then, I ran into some trouble. I couldn't figure out how to get the old stonework out without doing more damage than I wanted, nor how to set the new window frame into the opening. So, I consulted a mason. Local masons seem to deal with this issue very frequently (lots of colonial era houses in these parts), and this one convinced me I was making this job harder than it should be.

The solution: Cut the wing tenons off, and set this frame in the opening using large tap-con's to hold it in place. So, that's what was done. As is just about always the case with me, I have plenty of "before" photos, but no "after" photos. There's a 13-month old asleep in that room right now, so no chance at the moment. Will have to take some photos tomorrow, to finish this story.

Haldeman1773 (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Re: old timber window frame in stone wall

Post by Haldeman1773 (WavyGlass) »

Oh... one thing I can post now. I am frustrated that past carpenters to work on this house haven't done a perfect job of matching the original moldings. So, I have started building a shaper and router bit collection of custom-ground molding profiles, taken from the original moldings around the house. Here's the new moldings I made for this window, 100% perfectly matched to the oldest casings I can find on this part of the house. I can't say for sure if they're original to the 1773 build of the house, the 1820's renovation, or even when these windows were last replaced (early 1900's?)... but I do suspect they may be to the 1770's build date.

IMG_1878.jpg
IMG_1878.jpg (61.01 KiB) Viewed 291 times

IMG_1880.jpg
IMG_1880.jpg (62.67 KiB) Viewed 291 times

IMG_1888.jpg
IMG_1888.jpg (58.71 KiB) Viewed 291 times