jharkin- I made you an offer last year, it still stands.

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Alyson
Settling in

jharkin- I made you an offer last year, it still stands.

Post by Alyson »

Oh goodness sakes! guys and gals get your minds out of the gutter :)

Jeremy, if you want to try my SPS... Just let me know. I don't have any use for it until September at the latest, DD1 is getting married in August and paint stripping is the least of my worries :)

BTW - its a Silent Paint Stripper for the uninitiated
Alyson

Haldeman1773 (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Re: jharkin- I made you an offer last year, it still stands.

Post by Haldeman1773 (WavyGlass) »

Alyson,

I think we need a demo of this thing! I had never heard of them, and just Googled it. Genius!

Alyson
Settling in

Post by Alyson »

Halderman

Some folks say they are too expensive but to me (with the amount of dentil molding I have to strip), it's been worth it's weight in gold. I love my SPS almost as much as my staging. :)

Check online there are websites that show you how to build your own inexpensively but that sounds too risky for me and thankfully DH agrees - Safety first!

Haldeman1773 (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

My primary question: are they good for use on window muntins? You all know the trouble with the heat gun! Seems like this would be ideal, assuming it won't heat or crack old glass.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

i think the silent paint remover is a great tool for wide and/or flat surfaces...in my experience it works to quickly for muntins...by the time your half finished with the current muntin, the next one is ready...you will surely have glass breakage with the spr if you use it to remove glass...years ago we tried using sheet metal shields but the glass still heating up enough and CRACK!

H, have you taken a look at the steam cabinet we use for removing glass and putty? it's under the 'how to' heading on this website...our glass breakage is down to almost zero using this method...check it out...

and alyson, my mind never came close to the gutter! i just assumed one old house geek made a generous offer to another old house geek... :mrgreen:

...jade

Haldeman1773 (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

I discovered some of the threads on using steam on another forum (I think some of the posts were yours, jade!). Looks like a good option, perhaps better than citristrip, for stripping window sash. I'm not sure I want/need to remove all of the glass from my sash, unless someone can give me a compelling reason I should. I'd be happy with simply removing a few dozen decades worth of paint, giving a light sanding (outdoors with respirator, of course), re-priming and painting.

Anyone know if my Wagner wallpaper steamer has enough muscle for this job?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wagner-705-1 ... X-_ebWR8y0

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

i talked to a guy over at highland woodworking last year about their steamer...sounds like a nice little worker...don't know much about the wagner one but i will guess it's not that powerful...check this out: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/earl ... rator.aspx
two new ones would cost less than one new jiffy.....

...jade