Antique washing machines

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
pqtex
Been here a while

Antique washing machines

Post by pqtex »

I saw an antique wooden washing system in an antique store this week. I had never seen one like it, so out of curiousity, I started looking for it on the internet. By chance, I found this thread on another forum that has a gazillion pictures and descriptions of old washing machines. I thought you all might enjoy seeing them.

http://www.automaticwasher.org/cgi-bin/ ... .cgi?40352

Here's a taste of what you'll find on this thread full of washing machine eye candy...
Attachments
pink washer.jpg
pink washer.jpg (82.5 KiB) Viewed 1366 times

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Antique washing machines

Post by phil »

The old Maytag repairman must have cut his teeth on those ones;-) ah and now his apprentices are probably run off their feet ;-)

Careful for children around them. I would have one more cousin if it weren't for a tragic accident with the rollers. I guess later ones had some sort of safety release.

I have a very old one that clamps onto a wash basin , with a crank. It must have been stored nicely because the old rubber rollers and are still perfect. I't neat to look at , just no motivated to use it somehow though.

pqtex
Been here a while

Post by pqtex »

This is what i saw at the antique store that got me looking for washing machine websites...
This photo is actually a pic of a salesman's sample, but the full-sized "washing system" was for sale for about $100 at the antique store. A washing pot would sit on each side of the wringer. Once finished with the wash, the framework all folds up into a nice suitcase sized package!

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

pqtex wrote:This is what i saw at the antique store that got me looking for washing machine websites...
This photo is actually a pic of a salesman's sample, but the full-sized "washing system" was for sale for about $100 at the antique store. A washing pot would sit on each side of the wringer. Once finished with the wash, the framework all folds up into a nice suitcase sized package!

We've got one of those in our store right now.

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

My BIL has one he found in his barn. He uses it as a drink cooler when we have outdoor BBQs. No leaning over to dig around for your drink, and you can drain out the melted ice later.

nani213 (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by nani213 (WavyGlass) »

This is actually in Eaton, not Galeton. It is at the wonderful Eaton Grove nursery. Have Lee show you his museum - one of a kind!

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

I saw one of these the other day at an antique store not too far from me. I thought about buying it for my laundry room but backed out. I wish now I would have done it.

RosemaryT (WavyGlass)
Knows the area

Post by RosemaryT (WavyGlass) »

I owned a used appliance shop for many years. These old wringer washers were HUGELY efficient (but labor intensive).

The original washing machines had a gasoline motor! (For outdoor use only, I'd hope.)

Growing up, we had a top-loading portable dishwasher with a glass top. Highly entertaining! It was probably from the late 1940s or early 1950s.

And Sears had an "in-the-sink" dishwasher that was pretty interesting, too. This is a GE, but pretty interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rHKMcTZF3A

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Love the pink one!!! My sister put her arm in the wringer when we were little kids. Scary!
Diane

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

My mother had a scar from trying to run her doll clothes through the mangle when she was little; her arm went in just about to the elbow and the fail safe popped open. I can remember a rather top heavy neighbor woman who had something catch her blouse and got it all caught up in the rollers, she always used to make that common statement about a certain body part in the wringer and then say "I ought to know!"